What's new

Fighting Kelp on the beach paid off, Gold!!!!

ArmyJoe

Full Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2014
Messages
137
Reaction score
334
Golden Thread
0
Location
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent about five hours yesterday beach hunting/fighting kelp while waiting for low tide. So the kelp ended up winning as I was continually forced to retreat back to the high tide line and dry sand. It ended up paying off in the long run with a couple bucks in clad a cool toy car, and four rings to include my first gold ever!!!

The run down on the rings is one huge junker, one silver band, a small gold ring that I need to have tested since it's not marked, and my first gold ring stamped 14K with black onyx...

With everything I've read, you tube videos watched, and emails I've sent out, I need to thank OBN! He deserves a huge thanks as I think my emails have cut into some of his detecting time and he has put a lot of unselfish effort into sharing his knowledge thru various forums!!!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436714629.688152.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436714647.602769.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436714661.487113.webp
 
Upvote 30
Well i'm too old to fight that kind of hunting ,but you prevailed against the elements very very well indeed,
 
Im not much of a beach hunter but ive got a week in the cape ahead of me. Any suggestions?
 
Awesome finds :occasion14: congrats on the gold !!!!
 
Im not much of a beach hunter but ive got a week in the cape ahead of me. Any suggestions?

I've been hunting for about a year and a half and have only hunted water and beaches a handful of times. I will say that what paid off for me was reading the beach. By that I mean there is a ton of trash, pull tabs, pop tops, foil etc. all the trash tells you something. That something is people were here, other detectorist missed trash, and the amount of trash tells you where the key zones are. There is a lot of dry sand and a ring can be anywhere, but your odds of finding it go up if you are hunting the spots people spend the most time at. This is nothing new as a lot of people told me the same thing when I asked. The other key is to dig everything. You can either grid off a section and dig just within that section. As you dig the trash out of the way, you'll uncover everything else coins, jewelry, etc. be persistent. You might get lucky and find gold on your first dig, but that's not likely. Dig everything also means open your settings. Gold will sound different from everything else. It'll be a clean signal in all directions in most cases, but not always. Dig Everything, I dumped about four pouches of trash last night before finding my first ring and though I got four from the beach all of them were shallow. That means there is more out there that I missed. Oh and I was using my Excalibur 1000 which I forgot to mention. Keep in mind that you may find some cool relics digging the cape too! Good luck and keep us posted!!!!

Armyjoe
 
good job on the gold!, that's a nice one!
 
I've been hunting for about a year and a half and have only hunted water and beaches a handful of times. I will say that what paid off for me was reading the beach. By that I mean there is a ton of trash, pull tabs, pop tops, foil etc. all the trash tells you something. That something is people were here, other detectorist missed trash, and the amount of trash tells you where the key zones are. There is a lot of dry sand and a ring can be anywhere, but your odds of finding it go up if you are hunting the spots people spend the most time at. This is nothing new as a lot of people told me the same thing when I asked. The other key is to dig everything. You can either grid off a section and dig just within that section. As you dig the trash out of the way, you'll uncover everything else coins, jewelry, etc. be persistent. You might get lucky and find gold on your first dig, but that's not likely. Dig everything also means open your settings. Gold will sound different from everything else. It'll be a clean signal in all directions in most cases, but not always. Dig Everything, I dumped about four pouches of trash last night before finding my first ring and though I got four from the beach all of them were shallow. That means there is more out there that I missed. Oh and I was using my Excalibur 1000 which I forgot to mention. Keep in mind that you may find some cool relics digging the cape too! Good luck and keep us posted!!!!

Armyjoe

Thanks for the well written pointers, ill be sure to share if I find anything.
 
A nice chunky first gold ring! Congrats! The other ring is probably gold too. You scored well! Congrats! Neat looking car.

Yep OBN is a great guy!
 
Thanks for all the replies!!! Turns out, Saturday was just one of those good days cause yesterday was a clad only day at the same beach...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom