Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got out near my home yesterday. Nice fall weather for a walk along a early cape trail. Several fun finds.

First decent find was this 1723 half penny Woods Hibernia in amassing shape. Right next to a marshy pond.

Then found two very cool 1 1/4" Dandy buttons, one still with the shank. My favorite for sure is the basket weave button. Have not seen anything like it. I often wondered what they looked like on a coat. So I found this image below. Looks kind of sharp. Not crazy about the jacket color. I guess the buttons were not gilded. I have never found one with any gold leaf showing.

Last was the big surprise with two coins together. 1802 and 1803 US One Cents. I have left them with just a soft soap cleaning. Got one out and had another signal. This coin was on my bucket list but finding two at once is crazy.

Found one spot with 10 small flat plain tombac buttons in about a 4ft area. Someone lost a shirt? Most in ok condition but pretty basic. T wo a bit larger.

Attachments

• woods face.jpg
    woods face.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 206
  • woods back.jpg
    woods back.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 146
  • poka dot dandy.jpg
    poka dot dandy.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 149
  • basket weave dandy button.jpg
    basket weave dandy button.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 1802 3 pennies front.jpg
    1802 3 pennies front.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 139
  • early pennies back.jpg
    early pennies back.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 154
  • dandy button coat.jpg
    dandy button coat.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 159
Upvote 38

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Barska Winbest Elite Edition, Bounty Hunter TK-IV, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Ace Apex, XP ORX, XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally got out near my home yesterday. Nice fall weather for a walk along a early cape trail. Several fun finds.

First decent find was this 1723 half penny Woods Hibernia in amassing shape. Right next to a marshy pond.

Then found two very cool 1 1/4" Dandy buttons, one still with the shank. My favorite for sure is the basket weave button. Have not seen anything like it. I often wondered what they looked like on a coat. So I found this image below. Looks kind of sharp. Not crazy about the jacket color. I guess the buttons were not gilded. I have never found one with any gold leaf showing.

Last was the big surprise with two coins together. 1802 and 1803 US One Cents. I have left them with just a soft soap cleaning. Got one out and had another signal. This coin was on my bucket list but finding two at once is crazy.

Found one spot with 10 small flat plain tombac buttons in about a 4ft area. Someone lost a shirt? Most in ok condition but pretty basic. T wo a bit larger.
Wow! That Hibernia is in excellent shape! Congrats on the great recovery!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Those Woods Hibernia pieces really seem to stand up well to the soil around here. I was lucky enough to find and post one a couple of months back. Love those buttons. Hope you can post some more finds soon..

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Barska Winbest Elite Edition, Bounty Hunter TK-IV, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Ace Apex, XP ORX, XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did think of a camp. The two US pennies were found mixed in with broken red brick. These are the only other items I found on the site. My wife suggested maybe a trunk of clothing was left to the elements. Something had a lock.
I think that thing that looks like an eagle is an escutcheon. I’ve found one just like it.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did think of a camp. The two US pennies were found mixed in with broken red brick. These are the only other items I found on the site. My wife suggested maybe a trunk of clothing was left to the elements. Something had a lock.
This does look like an escutcheon plate, it could be from a chest or possibly from something that was blown ashore during a storm. It may have been the lifting handle from a chest lost in a shipwreck. :icon_scratch:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Recovery..Congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread