Finally Cashed in My Dug Clad Coins at Coinstar and Received $103.00!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a little hesitant to cash in my clad at Coinstar, but I finally got around to it last night. Not really happy with their 10.9% fee, but they did take most of my grungy and corroded coins! I ended up getting $103.08 for my clad coins!

Most of the rejected coins were zincoln Lincolns. There were also some dimes and quarters that were reddish from water and fertilizer damage that got the boot.

Here's a photo of the store slip and the bin of rejected coins:

DSC01583.JPG DSC01585.JPG

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!, one of the only hobbies I know that pays!

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of coinstar tips, though the second is a little...evil

1) Take a gift card as a payment so you don't get a fee.

2) If you unplug the ethernet cable in the back of the machine before using it, then pick gift card, it won't be able to give you a gift card and will instead give you a receipt for the register with a 0% fee!

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm lucky. My credit union has a "coinstar" like machine where i can dump and put it all into my account without losing anything.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

2) If you unplug the ethernet cable in the back of the machine before using it, then pick gift card, it won't be able to give you a gift card and will instead give you a receipt for the register with a 0% fee!

I'm trying this tomorrow. I have a 1 quart I've been putting my clad in an it's beyond full.

I don't consider this "evil" at all. If they have this uncorrected system flaw after 15 or so years of being in business then they shouldn't be surprised when this happens. They must realize that humans are clever creatures. Plus, they don't mind raising their cut every year or two to loan shark rates.

You would think that they would have figured out a way to keep all of the silver that gets poured into their machines after all these years too but they haven't. I have literally gotten dozens of silver coins from Coin Star machines over the years only not so much over the last two or three years. There was one hot machine in my area that produced SO much silver for a time. The girls in the store knew me and told me to take it whenever I wanted to.

Thanks for that awesome tip. I never would have thought of that on my own. Yet another reason why I love this site!!

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I used to get over on those Red Box machines too. There used to be codes you could get online to get free rentals. I used to give them out to the girls at the store too. They would last a few days and then stop working but then new ones would be created.

I never felt bad because I've also spent a TON of money on those things over the years. Those dollars add up. They'll soon be a thing of the past anyway with streaming movies and on demand taking over. It's just a matter of time at this point.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, I actually remember seeing this trick posted years ago somewhere online. I can't believe it still works! I also can't believe I didn't try it! DUH!

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I actually remember seeing this trick posted years ago somewhere online. I can't believe it still works! I also can't believe I didn't try it! DUH!

Well to be honest, I haven't done it in a couple of years, so it's possible that it has been patched. I use my bank's coin machine now for free.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread