Finally figured out "Nickles" (Bounty Hunter related)

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Six weeks into this MDing thing. I know there's not many Bounty Hunter fans here and yes, I too wish I owned an AT Pro or Minelab or Whites or...but, I digress (sorry!)...I've finally figured out how to detect those elusive 'cinco centavos' with my BH 505. For the old pros, this is probably academic but here goes my theory:

1. Start in Discrimination mode (moderatly high Sensitivity with low Discrimination) and hone in on 'repetitive' Nickle/PT tones ONLY!
2. Switch to 'All Metal' mode.
3. Pinpoint by locating 'loudest' tone, AND:
4. Determine (judge) whether the target is relatively 'smallish' as in 'coin' by sweeping side to side and front to back.
5. If 'smallish' - DIG! If not, move on unless you're a relic hunter.

I plucked (3) Nickles today...my FIRST - that weren't either found among other coinage or by luck using my pinpointer while dbl checking the hole. YEA, I'm kinda proud on myself! :icon_thumleft: Learn something everytime I venture out.

HH and thanks for stopping in.

Hangman

Apr 12, 2014
Cape Coral Florida
Detector(s) used
BH Legacy 2500 , BH Time Ranger, El Cheapo pin pointer, ya gotta start some where !
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice, I'm going to try it with my BH, my problem is the nut behind the wheel is loose! might be old age.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a lot more BH users out here than you think! I have 4 (plus 1 that's not working) and have no intention of owning any other brand. I fell in love with the old BH 840 and still use it. I am beginning to use the Tracker II (2D/707), the Tracker IV, and the Lone Star. I still like the 840 because it is motionless and I can pinpoint my target without using a pin pointer (yes, I do have one). I've been out of MDing for quite some time and just beginning again. I used to be quite good at distinguishing nickels from pull tabs. It just takes a lot of practice. I tried all last week to get a chance to do some MDing; but got side-tracked at every turn. We've had to replace the electric range and the dishwasher these last two weeks, plus a lot of other things that had our attention. After today (or tomorrow), I promise myself that I will definitely do some serious MDing!!

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the BH Pioneer 101 and just found my first modern nickel yesterday. It registered as a normal coin in Tone Disc mode, which I normally use for coin hunting. Discrimination knob set to about 10am, sensitivity about 50%.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with certain BH detectors. My Time Ranger is very deep and accurate!

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Pioneer 202 found these a few weeks ago:
285.JPG
Knowing your machine is much more important than "SIZE":occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! It's all about learning your detector and how it operates and what it is telling you.

Mine usually likes to yell "ring". Then snicker when I dig up the "ring" part of a pull tab! Ever the jokester !

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no nickles found...no gold found.
Its ok to dig some trash that is near the nickle range,reguardless of machine.Small or petite gold items may even ring left of nickle(foil range)while the big honkers will often ring all the way over near copper.

I always feel I'm leaving little behind if I'm having a good nickle day.

cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread