What's new

✅ SOLVED finally found it

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2017
Messages
1,123
Reaction score
2,014
Golden Thread
0
Location
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been digging at a large dump site since Oct of 2019 .I have been posting about my finds on another thread under Bottles and Glass This week I found a bottle that I am not able to find anything out about .It is about 8 inches tall and 2.5 inches round .On the bottom is embossed No1 Also the shoulder area at the neck appears off center .Does anyone have an idea what this bottle may have contained? IMG_0360.webp
 
My guess is held a food item of some kind. Interesting bottle, it looks like it was molded from at least four parts although it's really tough to tell from the photo.
 
Upvote 0
danloop I agree based on the shape it likely held a food item It is very crudely made I have added two more pictures to try to IMG_0366.webpIMG_0364.webp help with ID
 
Upvote 0
Any chance you can post a pic of the bottom? :icon_scratch:
It almost looks European to me, this may be why we're not recognizing it.

I worked on my families dairy farm in Ireland one summer when I was a teenager in the late 1970s.
In my spare time I would dig bottles out of a farm dump in the woods, I remember some looked similar to yours.

Here's an old food jar I found in an abandoned barn on a site I was detecting last fall.
Dave
 

Attachments

  • pickle_jar.webp
    pickle_jar.webp
    58.1 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0
Here are two more pictures .The closest thing that I can find that somewhat looks like what I foundIMG_0379.webpIMG_0375.webp would be a pickle /relish /chow chow jar from the early 1900's Thanks for looking
 
Upvote 0
I'm guessing soda or beer bottle.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the follow up pics GHF. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, I'm still stumped as to what the original use of your bottle was for.

Date wise, I'm thinking its late-1920s or 30s.
Dave
 
Upvote 0
Thank you for taking the time to try to come up with an answer. I did some research with the BLM/SHA website and while I did not see anything that was a perfect match they had a few that where close to what I found .It is likely something that was used for pickles ,olives ,relish etc .It is rather plain but it is yet another bottle I had ever found until I started opening up this site . The variety and number of bottles that are here continues to grow.While I have not found anything real old yet .I think I still might And I am having fun pulling out those old blob top soda and beer bottles and other such bottles that wher e common during the late 1880's, through the early 1900"s Again thanks for looking
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom