Finally purchased my first Tesoro!

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
After 20 plus years of detecting with other brands, I finally purchased a Tesoro. I have always been skeptical about the claims of how good these detectors are. After hunting with the Cibola upon two occasions - I have become highly impressed with Tesoro. The quality seems to be much better than in past years. The new models are super light weight - an attribute for us older detectorists. Fit and finish are superb - and the operation of the Cibola is straight forward and very easy to operate. Depth seems to be approximately 20 percent deeper than some other brands of detectors. If you purchase a Tesoro - you will certainly re-think your digging arsenal. Anyway if there are others out there who have pondered the thought of trying a Tesoro - I can honestly say that they build a superior product. I am now thinking about my next Tesoro detector?

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
bavarianminister,

Congrats. on your new Tesoro! If we can help with any questions just fire away! Joe

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I love my Deleon. It is awesome!!!! I looked at a Cortes and you really don't get much more for the extra $$$ so I am staying with Ponce! Tesoro rocks!

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
We buy them the books, send them to school, and most eat the pages out of them. But somehow, someday, one or two come along who actually has a brain, like the Bavarian, and listens to us and buys a Tesoro.

I'm betting your next one after this will be the Lobo Super Traq. Or a Cortez. Or a Deleon

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
EasyMoney said:
We buy them the books, send them to school, and most eat the pages out of them. But somehow, someday, one or two come along who actually has a brain, like the Bavarian, and listens to us and buys a Tesoro.

I'm betting your next one after this will be the Lobo Super Traq. Or a Cortez. Or a Deleon

Then are we to assume you like Tesoro?

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made some great finds with my cibola over seas ! I used a CZ at the time and bought a cibola as a back up . I went out to a 1793 battle site for my trial run and thought this is one heck of a back up. I went back out with my CZ and it felt like it weighed 50 pounds after a couple of hours. The Cibola became my main machine mainly due to to the weight and I found that I was digging less nails but still digging grape shot and pieces of cannonball. I was hooked and amazed that it cost only 340.00 new and had a lifetime warranty and was deep machine to boot. ;) I now use a vaquero mainly which is pretty much the same machine but it has a manual ground balance vs a preset. It does make a difference in some cases.

OP
OP
bavarianminister

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
birdman said:
I have made some great finds with my cibola over seas ! I used a CZ at the time and bought a cibola as a back up . I went out to a 1793 battle site for my trial run and thought this is one heck of a back up. I went back out with my CZ and it felt like it weighed 50 pounds after a couple of hours. The Cibola became my main machine mainly due to to the weight and I found that I was digging less nails but still digging grape shot and pieces of cannonball. I was hooked and amazed that it cost only 340.00 new and had a lifetime warranty and was deep machine to boot. ;) I now use a vaquero mainly which is pretty much the same machine but it has a manual ground balance vs a preset. It does make a difference in some cases.
Birdman - I also have a CZ6 that seems to weigh about 5 pounds. A great detector in it's own merit - but way too heavy for extended use. I truly hope that Fisher survives the corporate merger that has been ongoing. We might possibly see great detectors coming out real soon. The F2 seems interesting!

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
My personal experience is that Tesoros and Fishers are the most reliable, easiest to repair, and get the best (overall) VLF depth of all current detectors on the market dollar-for-dollar match for match..

I like the following newer Tesoros and in this order:

Lobo Super Traq
Silver uMax
Cibola
Compadre
Vaquero

The following newer Fishers and in this order:

F-75
F-4
F-2
CZ-70
1236-x2

The fastest detector sales right now are for the F-2. Most people are already sold out of them.

The Garrett Infinium (might be) the best salt beach detector though.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Right now I'm into the DeLeon and Cibola...both are great as turn on and go, however I'm looking at the Tejon right after Christmas unless the boss gives me a bigger bonus beforehand. I keep hearing a rumor though that they may be coming out with a new machine this next year, possibly a TID. :-\ ???

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
The first detector I'm going to sell is my Tejon, and fairly cheap too. Maybe after I get back from Alaska on Jan 3rd. The F-4 really interests me. So does the Lobo Super Traq

R

robert roy

Hi All:
I went to www.tesoro.com and looked at those machines again.
They have a nice look about them. Don't look cheaply made, IMO.

One thing I notice is none of them have a VID. I wonder why not. Anyone out there
know why this might be?

Regards
Robert R ???

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
robert roy,

If your term "VID" refers to visual identification then mastereagle22 is correct. Maybe you mean something else? The other big advantages of the Tesoros are very light weight and the lifetime warranty. Joe

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've made a good choice. I bought a Cibola as a backup to my CZ5 and thought it would be nice to try a Tesoro even thought I underestimated it. But what a suprise I got. It is so stable even with the sensitivity set at a high setting. Great depth and the discrimination is superb. The only con is that the pinpointing is a little off on the stock coil. However with the 5 inch coil, it is very accurate. Tesoro is now on my list!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread