Finaly found something

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Ship's store is a little waterlogged as we say.

BELLEAU WOOD was the third ship in the TARAWA - class and the first amphibious assault ship homeported outside the United States. In 2000, the BELLEAU WOOD was relieved by the USS ESSEX (LHD 2) which became the new forward deployed amphibious assault ship in Sasebo, Japan. Decommissioned on October 28, 2005, the USS BELLEAU WOOD spent the following months at the Naval Inactive Ships Maintenance Facility at Pearl Harbor, Hi. On July 13, 2006, the BELLEAU WOOD - which was the first TARAWA - class amphibious assault ship to be decommissioned - was sunk as a target off Kauai, Hawaii.

Daryl

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To see if yours is an older Version.

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 324
  • #12.jpg
    #12.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 325
  • #123.jpg
    #123.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0

Greengoose

Jun 18, 2006
The was another Belleau Woods (CVE I think) in WWll that was in moth balls in the fifties. I worked on her. And I believe it was turned over to the French in the sixties.

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
USS Belleau Wood

Two ships of the United States Navy have been named USS Belleau Wood, after the Belleau Wood near Château-Thierry in France, the scene of heavy fighting by U.S. Marines in World War I.

* The first Belleau Wood (CVL-24) was a light aircraft carrier converted from a cruiser hull and in service during World War II (1942–1947), later in the French Navy as the Bois-Belleau (R97) (1953–1960).
She remained in reserve until transferred to France September 5, 1953 under the Mutual Defense Assistance Act. Under the name Bois Belleau (litteral translation of "Belleau Wood"), the ship served with the French navy until 1960, when she was returned to the United States. In April 1954, the carrier departed from the Toulon arsenal toward French Indochina in order to replace the Arromanches. She arrived around May 20th in the Halong Bay, by that time the critical battle of Dien Bien Phu was over yet but her US-built fighters and bombers were immediately used by the delta defenders as the war wasn't over. Peace treaty with the Viet Minh was signed on July 21 1954. Then started the Algeria War in French Algeria. Belleau Wood was stricken from the Navy list on 1 October 1960 and sold for scrapping.

* The second Belleau Wood (LHA-3) was an amphibious assault ship commissioned on 23 December 1978, decommissioned on 28 October 2005, and sunk as a target during the Rim of the Pacific exercise on 13 July 2006 off the coast of Hawaii.

Confusing to have two ships with the same name.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread