Find leaves me breathless and in denial

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a print today at the TS. It was one that as soon as I saw it that I remembered the artist from the Anitique Roadshow and could not put it down. It was marked $3.99 and it was a 25% off day. My day really went downhill when I received a letter that I might of received a 5 figure overpayment from an insurance payment. Not to worry my lawyer warned me on the day we settled that it might happen. So I have the funds in a separate account.

Finally, after being distracted by this I thought didn't I have something to research. Oh, the print. Searching for awhile I found the artist. The print is old and initialed MC in pencil.

Mary Cassat Le Toilette 1891 image.jpeg image.jpeg

I'm quite excited now and will be taking it to be verified. And if it is WOW

Look at the auction estimate

Woman Bathing (La Toilette) sold by Christie's, New York, on Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! Looks really promising.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the auction estimate? I couldn't see it in the link. I like the print!

OP
OP
Lost&Found

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Estimate 70-100k

Thanks for he wishes but...I just compared the measurements (Metropolitan Museum and National Gallery) of the original to the one I found. Mine is larger. The penciled initials threw me off. I guess someone tried to make it look original? Who knows?

Still a nice print though.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking the same thing upon first glance. Lots of artists out there who, instead of trying to build on their own styles, they instead try to profit on the successes of other artists by copying them.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Way back, I had a client that had bought a Mary Cassat at a large auction house and paid I think $15,000 for it. Later he got contacted by a guy doing a book on all of her artwork who wanted to photograph it and put it in the book. When the guy examined it, he pointed out it was a fake and why. This was months after he bought it at auction and they had a 2 week return period, so he was SOL.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way back, I had a client that had bought a Mary Cassat at a large auction house and paid I think $15,000 for it. Later he got contacted by a guy doing a book on all of her artwork who wanted to photograph it and put it in the book. When the guy examined it, he pointed out it was a fake and why. This was months after he bought it at auction and they had a 2 week return period, so he was SOL.
Wow! That is so sad. A reputable auction would have authenticated the painting. Bet they weren't in business for long.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
They still are, and you would recognize the name. I have other issues with them, unrelated to the above.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, if they sold it as authentic, their return period would be irrelevant. In that case, SOL might stand for one thing by the auction company, for me it would stand for Statute of Limitation.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, wish you it's the real one. Hope to see you on AR 😊