What's new

Finds from 01-15-08 and 01-16-08 (first merc of the year and a roman? coin)

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between the two days I ended up picking up

1 - $1000 bag of dimes
1 - $200 bag of nickels
3 - $50 bags of pennies
and 4 Eisenhower Dollars (1971, 1971-D(2), 1972-D)

The bag of nickels appeared to be about half searched so the results weren't great.
1 - 1943-P War Nickel
20 other pre-1960 Jefferson (1940, 1941(3), 1947-S, 1948, 1952, 1952-D, 1954-D(2), 1955-D, 1956, 1956-D(2), 1957-D(2), 1958-D(2), 1959(2))

12 Canadian (1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1986(2), 1994, 1995, 1998)

2 Foreign (Mexico, 50 Centavos (1993), Netherlands, 5 Cents (1977))

1 Penny


The $1000 bag of dimes was interesting...kinda suspected it would have a low percentage based upon a comment from the teller.

1 Mercury (1945-S) <--my first of the year and in around VF to EF (worth about $3.50)

2 pre-1965 Roosevelt (1952, 1964-D)

1 - 1962 Canadian Silver Dime
25 other Canadian (1969, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1981, 1984(2), 1987(2), 1991(2), 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1998(3), 1999, 2000, 2002-P, 2003-P, 2004-P, 2006-RCM)

7 Foreign
Austria, 1 Euro Cent (2005(2))
Cayman Islands, 5 Cents (1999)
Great Britain, 5 New Pence (1990(2))
Spain, 1 Euro Cent (2003)
1 undated Roman? coin

2 Presidential Dollars
2 Sacagawea Dollars
6 Quarters
3 Nickels


The pics are of the as of yet unidentified coin with the merc by its side for a size reference. Any help in the ID would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • Obverse.webp
    Obverse.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 498
  • Reverse.webp
    Reverse.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 505
Upvote 0
Holy moley!! A Roman coin?? That deserves a spot on the best finds thread and the banner too, for the "banner" find of this young year. I wish I knew more about ancients to help you with ID but it looks like Montana Jim has a bead on it.

Congrats on an amazing unique find GMan!
 
To be honest I have to doubt it being a roman coin. Look at how round it is. No roman coin I have ever seen has ever been perfectly round like that, they are all relatively uneven. I really think it is something else, but to be honest I have not idea what.
 
wayne1956 said:
To be honest I have to doubt it being a roman coin. Look at how round it is. No roman coin I have ever seen has ever been perfectly round like that, they are all relatively uneven. I really think it is something else, but to be honest I have not idea what.

It is not perfectly round. I put the merc in front of it and it had one edge sticking out a little while most of the rest was fairly round. Looking at it in person it seems less perfect than it looks in the picture.

I would attempt to clean it, but not until I have some indication that its not terribly valuable. Esp. since I am not an expert at "cleaning" coins.
 
I did some cleaning of the roman coin so I could conclusively identify it and although the picture is not my coin (mine is dirtier still). The lettering matches the following picture perfectly.

And the description I found for the coin is as follows:

Constantine the Great
Obverse: CONSTANTINVS AVG
Obverse type: Head laureate right
Reverse: D N CONSTANTINI MAX AVG
Reverse type: VOT / XX in laurel wreath
Date: 320-321 AD
Mint: Siscia
Reverse Symbol: ASIS *
Size: 19 mm
 

Attachments

  • consgreat2.webp
    consgreat2.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 380
  • consgreat2.webp
    consgreat2.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 381
I know who's winning oldest coin this year!
 
Well finally finished the first of these penny bags over the past couple of days.

14 wheat pennies (1930-D, 1942(2), 1944(2), 1944-D, 1946-D(3), 1952-D, 1953-D, 1956-D(2), 1957-D)

24 Canadian (1961, 1963, 1964, 1966, 1975, 1976, 1978(2), 1980, 1981(2), 1984, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1998(4), 2001, 2005, 2006)

2 Foreign (Netherlands, 25 Cents (1996, 1998))

And a penny counterpunched with a star.
 
GMan00001 said:
I did some cleaning of the roman coin so I could conclusively identify it and although the picture is not my coin (mine is dirtier still). The lettering matches the following picture perfectly.

And the description I found for the coin is as follows:

Constantine the Great
Obverse: CONSTANTINVS AVG
Obverse type: Head laureate right
Reverse: D N CONSTANTINI MAX AVG
Reverse type: VOT / XX in laurel wreath
Date: 320-321 AD
Mint: Siscia
Reverse Symbol: ASIS *
Size: 19 mm

Very ubiquitous coin...[have several]...not worth much...routinely found throughout Europe. There were, if memory serves me, three Constantines. Why it would be in a 'roll' is confounding?
 
Hank said:
Very ubiquitous coin...[have several]...not worth much...routinely found throughout Europe. There were, if memory serves me, three Constantines. Why it would be in a 'roll' is confounding?

Was in a bag of dimes not a roll, but it was the same size so it may have been rolled had it made to the rolling facility.

May not a have a high monetary value, but sure has a high personal keepsake value. :)
 
2nd bag of pennies from this bunch done.

16 wheat pennies (1942(2), 1942-D, 1944-D, 1945(3), 1951-D, 1953, 1953-D, 1955-S, 1956(2), 1956-D(2), 1957-D)

33 Canadian (1941, 1951, 1962, 1966, 1970, 1973, 1975(2), 1976(2), 1978(2), 1979(2), 1983, 1984, 1986, 1987(3), 1989, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1997(2), 1999(2), 2000(3), 2001, 2006-RCM)

1 Foreign (Germany, 2 Euro Cent (2003-F))
 
very nice totals. i wanna start hunting dimes too from time to time. Do you find that the only way to search them are by the bag? I would think that rolls probably dont have many silver in them? I just dont have 1000 bucks to plop down for a bag lol Keep up the great finds:-)

-K
 
klava said:
very nice totals. i wanna start hunting dimes too from time to time. Do you find that the only way to search them are by the bag? I would think that rolls probably dont have many silver in them? I just dont have 1000 bucks to plop down for a bag lol Keep up the great finds:-)

-K

I don't think the luck is much different by the roll or the bag. I prefer the bags for other reasons.

1) faster for me (unless I get clear plastic rolls for dimes or quarters)
2) less garbage overall
3) less hassle from the bank getting the coins in the first place as they have to pay to ship them out anyway.
4) less gas to get the number of coins I was doing last year (searching less currently as I mentioned in a previous post but just more convenient to stop weekly and buy their bags)
5) More chance of odd coins such as foreign coins or other interesting objects. I also feel there is more chance of older od sized coins in the bag than in a roll (such as a large cent in a quarter bag or something like that).
 
Finished the last bag of pennies from this batch last night.

8 wheat pennies (1939, 1943, 1944(2), 1944-D, 1951, 1952-D, 1957-D)

33 Canadian (1962, 1964, 1967, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976(2), 1977, 1978(2), 1981(3), 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987(3), 1989, 1991, 1992, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2006, 198X)

Red indicates first time found in 2008.
 

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom