What's new

Finds from a colonial river ford

TrpnBils

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
873
Reaction score
1,234
Golden Thread
1
Location
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the combination of two hunts at a river ford a friend and I have been hitting lately thanks to the drought. It's got a colonial era road leading into it but was used at least through the early 1900s. He kicked my butt at this site before I even got down there with a seated dime and half dime, 37 69-caliber 3-ringers, a 1794 large cent, an 1830 large cent and a few indians.

I went down about 6:30am last Sunday and pulled out a ball....it's the right diameter for a 3# cannonball, but is just a tad heavy. After electrolysis and knocking off the rust it's about an ounce too heavy right now, but it's been submerged in water for who knows how long so I'm letting it dry out a bit (and the weight keeps coming down slowly but surely). I was told that can take a few months to get all the water out. I don't know that I can definitively say it's a Revolutionary War ball (they didn't use 3# in the Civil War) but the age of the ford certainly puts it in the "possible" column. I also pulled an 1837 large cent (I believe it's the small letter variety).

A couple of days later I went back with my friend and pulled five 3-ringers that were lying in the ford on bare bedrock including one that was wedged in a crack of the rock and it took me about 5 minutes to pull it out. I also got this big chain. Not sure of the age, but it looks cool so I'll probably try to clean it up and preserve it. About four hours later we were about ready to call it a night and on the way back to the kayaks, about 10 feet behind mine, I got a good solid 12-47 signal and pulled out an 1831 large cent in an area that we somehow missed.

Both large cents I pulled had concreted sand and pebbles on it but appeared to be in decent shape. About 10 minutes in an electrolysis setup and the crud came off. I don't like how it gets rid of the patina, but both coins look better without riverbed stuck to them.

Planning on going back as soon as my coil comes back from Minelab (by the way, REAL fast turnaround time for replacing a defective coil by them. I'm very happy with their customer service.)

EDIT: The coil issue I had was a degraded strain relief that made it not waterproof. I knew about this before I hit the ford so I siliconed the heck out of it so I could hunt in the river a few times before sending it in. I mailed the coil in on Tuesday at 4:30pm from West Virginia to Illinois and TODAY (Saturday morning) I received a brand new coil from them in the mail. I am beyond happy with Minelab's customer service!
 

Attachments

  • CAM00094.webp
    CAM00094.webp
    200.2 KB · Views: 129
  • CAM00099.webp
    CAM00099.webp
    509.5 KB · Views: 118
  • P1000502.webp
    P1000502.webp
    617.6 KB · Views: 131
  • P1000503.webp
    P1000503.webp
    667.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Upvote 32
Awesome finds. The large cents came out pretty nice.
 
Wow, the chain makes you think, was for slaves or animals
 
BILL THATS SOME FINE RELICS YOU GOT THERE ..
 
Congrats on the old coppers and other nice finds
 
outstanding.gif
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing...
 
THanks guys - as soon as I get my replacement coil from Minelab I'll be back at it. I don't think it would be worthwhile to hit this site with my 6" coil...the strain relief on the stock one was degraded and I could see the internal wiring, so I sealed it with silicone and hit the river that way. Sent it in on Tuesday, and on Thursday I got an email that a new one was on the way.
 
Awesome condition of the LC's.

I'm getting tired of pulling out crusty LC's.

I may have to try me some water hunting.
 
Awesome condition of the LC's.

I'm getting tired of pulling out crusty LC's.

I may have to try me some water hunting.

Yeah these came out good, but I think it has to do with soil conditions more than land vs water. Another friend of mine pulled a 1730 KGII out of the dirt yesterday about half an hour from here and it looks better than every land-dug LC I've ever pulled.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom