Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every bullet in wood is special. Like them. Its a pity that You cant preserve them properly.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront said:
Every bullet in wood is special. Like them. Its a pity that You cant preserve them properly.

That piques My interest. The lead makes it poisonous by itself, thats the reason it exists, so how do you preserve one,, I mean I know it should be done,, but How?

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220 and Minelab X-Terra-70
I have recovered quite a few bullets in wood in the Cold Harbor area. In fact the whole seven days battle field area has produced a large number of these. I have found quite a few in the Chicahominy swamp area near the grapevine bridge area. HH TomB

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave44 said:
Westfront said:

That piques My interest. The lead makes it poisonous by itself, thats the reason it exists, so how do you preserve one,, I mean I know it should be done,, but How?

You can try to soak them in clear varnish. But the wood has to be dry. And with that comes the problem. When You dry the wood it often falls off... I tried to soak in melted wax, because You did not have the glossy shine.

MeMark

Greenie
Dec 13, 2007
Sausalito,Ca
Detector(s) used
I'm learning,will by one soon
Make some penetrating epoxy.Any two part epoxy will work.Make sure wood is dry.Mix a small amount of epoxy in cup,I use 7-11 coffee cups, add a small amount of denatured alcohol"not robbing alcohol" or acidtone "evaporates very quickly' mix will be vary thin and will penetrate dry rotted wood completely,apply a second time if needed. Clean up brush with alcohol or acidtone.I have restored several wood boats and used it all the time,great for sealing the ends of wood before caulking,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread