timekiller
Silver Member
- Joined
- Feb 10, 2009
- Messages
- 3,853
- Reaction score
- 966
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- Morehead City / Newport NC
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab E-Trac
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Upvote
6
Nice looking buckles, I found some very similar pottery in the UK this past spring, liked the look of the striping.
View attachment 1097936
There is no steel pins in this one,only thing I can think of your seeing is I've not completely cleaned it & there's a piece that leached on to the back.But being found in a salt water environment would not allow for something as small as a pin like that to even survive.Do you think the scallop type is the late 17th C one? Because I'm pretty sure they had no steel pins at that date. Either way, its not one I've had & it is complete. I guess, without looking its more like late 18th C.
A good site for that Pepper- Staffordshire SlipNice looking buckles, I found some very similar pottery in the UK this past spring, liked the look of the striping.
View attachment 1097936
No Bill no mark man,But I've dug enough buckles to know this one is early as you say.Heavy made with quality metal.It be like the one in the pic. below but with two prongs.Glad to see you're getting out Pete, and making some nice finds to boot. I tried looking up that buckle in my Whitehead book, but all I could find was a garter/boot buckle dating from 1720-1790s (page 114). But the one in the book looks almost identical to the one in your Part 2 post just above the scalloped one. I think the other one looks heavier, and earlier. If I would have to guess I'd say late 1600s to early 1700s. I guess it doesn't have a maker's mark which could help with the dating. Nice find regardless.
No Bill no mark man,But I've dug enough buckles to know this one is early as you say.Heavy made with quality metal.It be like the one in the pic. below but with two prongs.