fired up the new tejon today . . .

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SaginawIan said:
tell you what, i'm not sure what to think yet. i think i got it ground balanced, but i'm not exactly sure. i got a long way to go to get used to this, i think. seems nice and the potential is there , to be sure. i'll keep you all posted.

ian

It's really easy to GB.

Just use all metal mode to find a clean spot.

Left coil about 2 foot and lower it keeping the coil flat with the surface of the ground.

If the signal gets louder, turn the balance knob toward the negative ---

If the signal goes down, turn it toward the positive +

The best setting is a slight positive signal (the threshold sound slightly increases).

Now switch to discrimination mode and you're ready to hunt.

Find the people trash areas and then hunt very slowly listening for those solid hits and iffy signals. Dig a little on all iffy signals to see if they turn solid. If they do, dig.

If your soil is a little bad you may get a background noise with full sensitivity. If this bugs you just turn it down to 10 or 9. Personally I like a little chatter. The signals are easy to separate.

HH,

Badger

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
After 10 or 12 outings with the new Tejon, I must say it's pretty sweet. It's deep and fast. It actually does ground balance easy, when you get the hang of it. I really like it and I think it will be my top detector for a while. I would recommend it to anyone.

Ian

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow. Of course my friends with other machines have already started telling me how their White's XLT or Minelab or whatever found a bucket full of coins and relics in a field where "some guy" with a Tejon couldn't find a thing. I guess that's just human nature to like the machine you have.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry hsjrev, those stories will change when your friends see the Tejon in action!

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
They may be able to get them on the surface a little easier with less trash, but with practice you'll be pulling some interesting things from great depths.

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
You made a good investment in the Tejon and will find deep things when you get used to it. People that say different are wrong and are just talking trash. Let us know how you are doing with it. Good luck.

Ian

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SaginawIan, are you using your Tejon mostly in rural areas, away from overhead powerlines or EMR sources? I've seen where some people were complaining that the machine gets squirrely around powerlines.

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Hello, actually I am using the tejon mostly in the city at construction sites and a few parks. I have noticed the pulsating interference at some sites and it does make it difficult to ground balance at times. However, it hasn't affected the performance of the Tejon that I can tell. Actually, most times I just point it in a different direction to GB or turn it at an angle and it stops. For instance, in my sisters yard I was getting this pulsating tone that was coming from a power line directly above. I had difficulty getting it to ground balance, but after a little tinkering (1min.) I was able to get it done. I then proceeded to dig a merc dime from 6" on edge with the 5.75 concentric coil.

To sum it up: My Tejon is susceptible to interference - but it doesn't hurt the performance very much, if at all.

Ian

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Ian, just what I needed to know. I'm on the verge of buying one for CW relic hunting and needed a rounded view of what the machine can do and what its weak points are. Seems like any of the extra sensitive machines have the same kind of problem with EMR (electro magnetic radiation), but it can be compensated for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread