Tiger Shark Question

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Iā€™ve been using a Tiger Shark on salt beach for a little over a month now, a hunting buddy uses a PI detector.
What am I missing here. We both find deep small stuff, both are water proof, both hit gold really well even small gold...the PI doesnā€™t discriminate iron though.

If both detectors are as equal as they seem, whatā€™s the advantage of the PI? especially since the Tiger Shark will tone ID targets. ???

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PI will detect targets deeper which could be an advantage. But like you said, it has very little disc. and loves to find tiny iron so you could be wasting more time digging while the TS is sweeping more area per hour and the chance of getting the coil over a good target are greater. The Tiger Shark has good discrimination and is sensitive to gold chains also unlike some other 'Hot" VLF detectors.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Iā€™ve been using a Tiger Shark on salt beach for a little over a month now, a hunting buddy uses a PI detector. So, what am I missing here? We both find deep small stuff, both are waterproof, both hit gold really well, even small gold...the PI doesnā€™t discriminate iron though. If both detectors are as equal as they seem, whatā€™s the advantage of the PI?"From what I can tell, the best advantage is in the deep water, waist deep and out. From what you say, why bother about that? In the lane, I'll take decent iron disc over that "dig it all" PI crap eveytime.

"Especially since the Tiger Shark will tone ID targets."
Okay, wait a minute - when did that happen? Mine doesnt have TID!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Especially since the Tiger Shark will tone ID targets."
Okay, wait a minute - when did that happen? Mine doesnt have TID!

TS doesn't really have different tones to id the target. It does make the sound a little different like raspy, or chopped if it is near the disc. point. I think this is what is meant.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TS doesn't really have different tones to id the target. It does make the sound a little different like raspy, or chopped if it is near the disc. point. I think this is what is meant.
Posted

I reckon. I used a Golden today as a water detector and man! what a gem that is. Now theres some tone ID you can live with in the water. See my post elsewhere in the forum entitled "Redneck Riviera...."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread