First beach hunt and a kick in the *ss

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently on vacation with the family in Bethany, Delaware (sea colony resort) and brought my new detector along. This was the first time I hit the beach and I got to say I really enjoyed it. I was even starting to get a feel of what the different signals meant. Found $2.57 in clad, a few toy cars, someone’s house key and more beer tabs, bottle caps and tent posts than I care to count. Hunted from 3am until about 7 when the heat and sun started to get to me.

I did notice that when I was close to the water level I’d get signals in the 33-38 range— just blips really and never found anything. I’m using an AT Pro 400. Is this something caused by the salt water or was I just missing the finds?

Finally the kick in the junk. Guy next to me on the beach is digging in the sand with his kid and pulls out a heavy solid platinum ring. Can you believe the luck? My kids have been teasing me mercilessly ever since.

Attachments

• 95903209-352B-4BF4-B5A4-D16DF118B118.jpeg
    95903209-352B-4BF4-B5A4-D16DF118B118.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
Upvote 20

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Doesn’t do well near salt but will work pretty good in the wet sand and water if you back down the sensitivity. Hope this helps

OP
OP
W

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I’ll give it a shot. Still have a few more days here. I’m still learning the settings and just had it set for jewelry. Every quarter signal chirped at high 80’s and got me hopeful

Should also mention that I found a few pieces of shrapnel from a beach replenishment that occurred 11 years ago here. I figured all that would have been hunted out. Apparently back in the day people were pulling out hundreds of old shells and other assorted munitions

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used my AT Pro many times at the beach. You'll need to re-ground balance each time you transition between dry and wet sand. I've actually been able to use my coil in the water with minimal chatter as long as I do that. It does help also, as Slider66 said, to back off the sensitivity a bit.

crypticrecon

Jun 6, 2018
Somewhere along the Delaware, Christina, and Brand
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I’ll give it a shot. Still have a few more days here. I’m still learning the settings and just had it set for jewelry. Every quarter signal chirped at high 80’s and got me hopeful

Should also mention that I found a few pieces of shrapnel from a beach replenishment that occurred 11 years ago here. I figured all that would have been hunted out. Apparently back in the day people were pulling out hundreds of old shells and other assorted munitions

Might have come from Fort Miles with the current which was just a few miles to the north in what is now called Cape Henlopen. People are always finding live munitions there. It was a World War II base at the mouth of the Delaware Bay. There are observation towers throughout to watch for German U-Boats that could potentially come into the mouth of the Delaware Bay, then into the Delaware River, etc...

There are legends of German agents landing in Delaware from a U-Boat, but no substantial evidence to back it up though. The Germans DID plan U-Boat attacks on the east coast of the US. Checkout Operation Drumbeat or it's also called "The Second Happy Time".

Fort Miles Observation Tower at Cape Henlopen State Park
obsevation tower.jpg

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congrats on finds with the new Pro.:icon_thumright:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he was probobly pulling your chain

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first beach hunt. The Garret AT PRO is an excellent water machine as long as it is Fresh Water. Salt water will drive any VLF machine crazy and cause a lot of Ghost Signals. I use a Minelab Excalibur for Salt Water hunts.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not bad for a beach hunt. It's all a matter of getting the coil over the right target. Your machine should work well there.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting in the water yrs back and watched a guy pull a fine gold chain from some seaweed on shore and another - watched akid
with goggles fan up a gold ring in the shallow - he was actually trying to find gold and was systematically fanning but still - no machine needed

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with A2coins, it was his own ring I'm sure... people do that quite often .. haha what's the odd's of him finding the ring, at the same time your there ??!!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like your learning your detector very well. Your Platinum ring will show up sometime soon.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Oh man, that does blow watching that happen. At least you know you're in the right area to find that kind of stuff. Sorry man!

OP
OP
W

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Closed out the week with one more hunt in the same area and found my first spill- too bad it was only four modern quarters. Still it was pretty awesome to keep getting signals. It was like the giving tree. Puts my total at about $4.50 in glad. I also found what I think is a sharks tooth which would be pretty exciting for me (im a city boy) but my wife says I’m crazy. Figured someone here would be able to tell even from just a picture. 6E5B9877-6CE0-4F39-BF33-8D5CA5329ECD.jpeg
C9F6BC13-396A-4DB3-88F6-9DFA3F756858.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread