What's new

First Benjamin!

jlr1076

Full Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Grabbed a $10 customer-wrapped roll from my go-to bank today at lunch... was thinking it'd all be skunks but out pops a 1951 Ben. :icon_sunny: My first. It's really tarnished, almost completely black. Would love to clean it without resorting to polish - any good techniques out there that won't harm the coin or its value? Thanks for the help!

PS: at work now, will post pics later!
 
Upvote 0
Congrats on the first! I hope its the first of many! :icon_thumleft:

I know of no way to clean a coin without it becoming a "cleaned" coin value wise. But, I say go for it if you want. I don't think it would effect the value in this case. 1951 is a "common" date, and will likely never be worth more than melt value - especially in the condition you describe. After cleaning, its still gonna be worth melt. Just my opinion.
 
I feel the same way as well. It's still a silver coin either way! Congrats on the find! :hello2:
 
I clean some of mine if the "Patina" isnt consistent, I've gotten some that were tiger striped..But i have some that are completly black..its all up to you.I kinda like the look of both dirty and clean coins :thumbsup:

But it being your first...I wouldnt clean it..keep it just how you got it.
 
Thanks for the advice, I probably will just leave it as is.
 
Congratulations on your first Ben find. Hope there's more to come for you. Keep it the way it is!
Just my opinion.
rileyboy
 
awesome score! i love bens soooo much! i wouldnt clean it if i were u...keep it up and hh!
 
Congrats, u should add it to your YTD total's. No Ben's :icon_thumleft:
 
i know how u feel..
i was so thrilled to find my first franklin..
good job! keep it up!
 
Congrats on finding your first Ben - can't beat that feeling!!! I still remember mine and it was a Bender!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 
Congrats! :thumbsup:
I've only found 3 Bens in around $10k searched

Hh,
Legend
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom