What's new

First Coin Roll Hunt

bhali333

Greenie
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hi Everyone,

My name is Bruce, I am an experienced metal detectorist but today is the first time I tried my hand at "Coin Roll Hunting" I went to my local TD bank and bought 350.00 worth of rolled dimes. The rolls where clear plastic so I did not even have to open them just scan them carefully with a magnifying visor.

Out of the 70 rolls I found 1 silver, a 1953 s rosie. I'm going to return them tomorrow and ask for a fresh box, I marked the box with a small black X so as not to get the same box back again.

I can order halves from this bank so I think next week I will give halves a try.

Bruce
 
Upvote 0
Let me suggest that you take them to another bank. Sometimes banks dislike you buying sorting and returning all from them. Plus you have a good chance of picking up the same dimes again.
 
the box holds 350? you got an account there?

not bad finds so far
 
I have an account at this bank and I got a full box plus 20 loose rolls.
 
welcome to the forum Bruce. a Rosie on your first hunt is a semi milestone :thumbsup:.
i have to agree with kd5txx about buying and dumping in the same bank HOWEVER, TD bank CAN be an exception to this rule as i have done it in the past. first you don't return them in the original rolls. you unroll them and dump them in the free coin counter in the lobby, when you cash out and they ask how you would like your money, ask if you can have a box of dimes. they never say no and the don't ask if you have an account. okay there is one serious drawback to this when dealing in dimes. sometimes if the counter has not been calibrated correctly you could find yourself with a huge deficit between what you dumped and what you were paid as alot of the dimes get counted as pennies. some here have lost as much as $50. i have not found a problem with any other denomination. the only other thing about TD is thier half bag in most branches only holds $100 and must be emptied often if dumping a box worth.
 
I definitely don't return halves to any same bank branches. I will however return my dimes to a different branch of the same bank because they come in clear plastic wrappers and are easy to check for them. I return them back in their tubes.. making sure I weigh them first (you'd be suprised how off the rolls are sometimes). I figure it's ok do that that for dimes because they usually still use them in handing out to merchants who need dimes. Your results in getting one silver dime per that many are typical. I usually get 1 per $500 box.
 
Hi Bruce,
Welcome to the "Show". I agree with the others. Try not to take boxes back to the same bank where you got them. They will tire of you quickly. Look for another bank to dump them off...especially half dollars. Also, if you re-roll the halves that you are going to "dump". Make sure you put "a code mark" on the rolls so you don't keep getting them back. Otherwise you could wind up searching the same coins over and over gain. Just my 2 cents worth of advice to you.
rileyboy
 
ya...u should establish a dump bank...other than that nice hunt!!! silver first time out! wow! took me a long time cuz i started doing pennies. keep it up and hh!
 
What ever you do dont take them back to the same bank. That is almost as bad as telling a teller what you are doing. By taking them to the same bank you run the risk of them asking you not to come back or what i consider worse, them figuring out what you are doing. Very little silver can be gotten from a bank where a teller learns about silver.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom