What's new

First CRH...1 box of pennies and 17 rolls of nickels...

Ghondi

Full Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
127
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
So, it took me a few days to get through them as I was learning my own "groove" to speed things along.

Pennies:
1-1938
3-1942
3-1944 (1xS)
2-1945
3-1946 (1xS)
2-1950 (1xS)
3-1951
4-1953 (3xD)
2-1955
3-1957 (1xD)
7-1959 (2xD)
3-1060 (2xD)
5-1961 (1xD)
10-1962 (4xD)
12-1963 (3xD)
15-1969 (8xD)

Canadian cents:*found in cent rolls*:
1-1941
1-1965
1-1966
1-1971
1-1974
1-1975
1-1983
1-1985
1-1989
1-1998


Nickels:
2-1940
1-1941
1-1942
2-1949
5-1952
2-1953
3-1957
2-1959
3-1961
4-1962
1-1965
2-1967
5-1968D
4-1969(3xD 1xS)
1-1971D

What do you all think of my first box of pennies and 17 rolls of nickels?
Good numbers?
Any of it have a decent value above face?*will sell to buy more rolls...if its worth it*
 
Upvote 0
I think the number of Wheat's & pre 60 nickels are excellent results.

I don't search many nickels or pennies, but Immy searches alot of nickels and if I remember correctly I think the average per box is about 20 of the pre 60. You searched less than a box too. Is there a mintmark on the 42 Nickel? If it is a P or S, then that is a war Nickel which is 35% silver. That would be icing on the cake.

I think you did very well G. Congrats.
 
lejeuene said:
Is there a mintmark on the 42 Nickel? If it is a P or S, then that is a war Nickel which is 35% silver.

Nope, no mint mark.
*I made notes along side each dates as to the mints...if there isn't one then it didn't have a mint.
Thank you for the information though, I'll keep an eye out.

I wasn't going to search pennies but didn't have enough for a box of nickels so I just went with it.
Thank you for the congrats. I can't wait until my first paycheck from my new job so I can get a box of two of pennies and same with nickels.
 
Ghondi said:
lejeuene said:
Is there a mintmark on the 42 Nickel? If it is a P or S, then that is a war Nickel which is 35% silver.

Nope, no mint mark.
*I made notes along side each dates as to the mints...if there isn't one then it didn't have a mint.

Ooops....I see now what you did now....I overlooked that. Sorry about that G. I am going back to my little corner....lol.

Good luck on future searches.
 
I just read what I wrote, I didn't mean for that to sound sarcastic or rude.
Just was explaining.


The info is awesome though, I am just starting collecting, and don't realy know what to collect.
*I used to collect before but it was just interesting coins I was given or found, like foreign or halfs...*
So, the more info anyone can give about pennies ad nickels the better*other coins too, but I won't use that until I have the money to "invest".

You can come out of your corner now lol. ;D
 
FYI: If you were not aware of it, the mintmark for the pre-1965 nickels is on the back to the right of the monticello except for war nickels (1942-1945) in which case there is a large mintmark above the monticello. They made 1942 nickels of both types.

If you were already aware, ignore this note. Just seemed odd that none of the pre-1965 nickels had mintmarks.
 
I did not know that actually. I thought it was odd myself..

After work tomorrow I will go through them and update.

So, thank you. *I was only looking on the front with the exception of the 42 after LJ mentioned it could be a war nickel I looked it over on both sides.*
 
oh, sorry, DD means Double Die. its one of the most common errors in the coin world. a DD is there the die for the mold of the coin strikes the coin twice, usually leaving some of the coin Doubled in appearance. on the 1955 penny, the error if so uncommon, you could easily got a few hundred on eBay for one in good condition.

on the 55, make sure to look at the date, and check it with a magnifying glass to be sure. its definitely worth a shot.

-SS
 
Thanks for elaborating.
I'll have to find some kind of magnifying glass and check that out soon.
Few hundred from ebay sounds wonderful to me, lol.
 
those are some nice finds! spend the 1971D nickel. its only worth keeping if it does not have a mintmark. and just keep the 1969S nickels. the S mintmark is what to look for on the 1969. on the cents spend the D mint 1969 cents. only keep the S mints, or the 1969 plain. spend the 1963D cents, 1962D,and 1961D cents. only keep the ones with no mintmark. nice finds!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom