First "day" out ,ever!

-Taz-

Mar 28, 2013
Island on the west coast
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Received my F5 in the mail today, happy days! ;) But it’s a bittersweet moment since I tomorrow is leaving for the US on a week’s business trip. Something I usually look forward to, but this time a week postponement would have been nice.

Well since it has arrived I just got to make the best of it. So after dinner I tell the missus I am going out to detect for an hour or two, first problem; where to go? I now live on a barren island on the North Sea coast, it’s a large island but mostly rocks, some more rocks with a bit of topsoil and marshes. There are of course some farms, but they are tiny and mostly just have grassing sheep, not much ploughing. The options today was very limited, parks? Forget it, doesn´t exist, we use mother nature. I ended up going to what the locals here look upon as the “beach”, some low cliffs and stones with some dots of grass on top of them. If you are lucky, and its low tide, there is also a small patch of sandy bottom that reveals it self (maybe 6X4 meters). Well I was lucky the tide was out!

But before we come to the actually searching problem number two came over the horizon, well actually at the same moment I told the missus I was going out. “Hey why don’t take (oldest boy) with you?” No problem, “Wait why don´t we all go?” Again, no problem. So instead of going out and testing my new toy with some time to tweak and sweep (its my first MD ever so got a lot to learn) by my self I ended up with the missus, 2 boys (7 and 9) and two dogs.

When we got there the questions started; Can I have a go?!? No me!! No I asked first!!....and that’s 1 minute after we parked….got to the “beach”, the tide was out. Great lets try that! Probably not the best decision of the day. I hadn´t read anything about what settings you should have on a salt water beach and we were just fumbling in the dark with peeps and squeaks going of right and left. Let me tell you this, it isn´t easy to concentrate with 2 kids playing ninjas with the diggers and 2 dogs running around your feet, while the missus is watching and you just know she is laughing at you inside herself. Time to switch tactics!

Forget the sands, go for the patches of dirt and grass that has accumulated in the crevasses of the rocks over the years. It is soon apparent that the settings I was going for was more of a hit here and things calm down and we do some searching. Two first hits, foil…that’s OK, we found something, it works! Only problem, the dirt is stone hard since it hasn´t completely thawed out yet. By this time the missus is starting to give me the stink eye; “Isn´t it time you let the kids have a go”?? But but!!....ok….. :-\ “men and their toys, never wants to share” she comments, and goes back to the dogs. Well the youngest doesn´t fine anything and I manage to get it back while they go off a bit with the dogs. My turn again!! And this time I get a sweet signal, and I actually found something; A Pepsi screw cork from a 80´s 1.liter bottle! Yeah!! My precious!! It’s a keeper, the first “substantial” find! Have time to find one more piece of foil before the kids come back and the oldest has his turn. Short story, even shorter; sweet signal, dig..dig..dig and dig some more, found it; A 50 øre coin (9 cents)!! Would be better with a 20 kroner coin ($3,5), but we scored!! :hello2: It’s in a awful condition and it went out circulation last year, but what the hey, it’s a coin! By now the missus states for the forth time that she is cold, and; “now I am going home”….but…but…argh…lets go… :-\

So what have we learned?

1 – next time, go by my self so that I get more then 45 minutes out, half of that the kids used it.
2 – get moving on a pin pointer
3 – study more what the different knobs and settings actually do
4 – go around to the farms and landowners in the area as fast as possible!
5 – this is going to be fun!! :icon_thumleft:

And here it is, todays pickings (the coin on the right is a reference coin just to show how they should look)! ;

first.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, welcome to T-Net and the hobby. This is one hobby where disappointments will probably outnumber the joyous finds, but it's still fun, even with those pesky little ninjas underfoot :laughing7:

Now, the only thing I can really ask to to work on is the titles you apply to your threads. You need eye catcher's and for the right reasons. Let me explain

Title: First "day" out ever

There are people on this forum, well I should say me :tongue3:, that look for an eye catching topic. Yes, you did get my attention, but for the wrong reason. I thought this post was about being a veal, and it made me hungry :tongue3:

All I can really say is that you have the right outlook for the hobby, loved your summary, and it looks like you'll be having a blast in no time. So I do wish you the best of luck :icon_thumright:

Oh, just watch your titles, or I may show up again :laughing7:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume that's a modern coin. Save them. You'll be amazed at how quickly they grow. Good luck on the business trip.

OP
OP
T

-Taz-

Mar 28, 2013
Island on the west coast
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, just watch your titles, or I may show up again :laughing7:

I will do my best to entice the connoisseur community of Treasurenet with tantalising and exiting titles :notworthy:

Yes it’s a modern coin, and we will of course keep them, even though they went out of circulation last year. To cash them in now I will have to go to one of the branches of the national bank, not worth the hassle. But I am thinking of putting all the scrap metal objects I find in a bucket in the garage, just to see how much I trash I actually have collected :)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do know that metal Pepsi cap will fetch a fair price here in the states, ours are all plastic now :tongue3:

I have also found some oddball coins and just keep them for the heck of it. It's still a fun and relaxing hobby, that may become rewarding at some point. Until that time, I'll just enjoy the day out :tongue3:

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skal!

My boys are going on 7 and 9 in a few months. It is nice to have them out with me, but cuts down on the true detecting time (plus they keep all the coins).

Good luck and many more great finds. It isn't always about the treasure.

Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread