First day out with my eratic ATPro. Little help please?

Warshrike

Nov 1, 2009
Got my new ATPro and took it out for a test drive today. Man was it chatty. Here is the settings I used.

Pro Zero mode / Iron descrimination at 30 / ground balanced to 88 / and sensitiveity at 4 and then 5.

Anyways, I checked my cable connection and all is seated properly, (using the 5x8 coil). Perfect ground balance and i even changed the frequency from 1 to 3. I swing and swing and it yells all over the place. I lay it down or lean it on a tree to dig and it's still chatty while not even swinging. Any ideas???? Oh and I also checked my cable wrap and it is nice and tight.

Ky Red

Feb 27, 2013
Is the first wrap going over the top of the shaft. That's how you start it.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EMI, wireless routers, security system, high tension lines near by?

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm putti'n my money on EMI! Sounds like all the same problems I had around wifi,and power lines! Plus turning the sense UP (4 then 5) doesn't help! It should be turned DOWN in areas of EMI,ect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Warshrike

Warshrike

Nov 1, 2009
No power lines or wifi nearby. I was at an old park. I have the first wrap going over. However, I was watching diggers tonight and their first wrap goes under.

OP
OP
Warshrike

Warshrike

Nov 1, 2009
Yes. Changed frequency from 1 to 3. Tried a different site today with the same results.

bigmatt132

Sep 1, 2013
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
GARRETT , Ace 250, Ace 350, Currently AT Pro
Garrett ProPointer
Lesche, Digger, Sampson
Wireless routers will play a big part , I discovered my router was making the at pro and ace 350 chatty while just sitting there unplugged the router and all is good around my house.

OP
OP
Warshrike

Warshrike

Nov 1, 2009
Tried the stock coil yesterday. Whoa. What a difference the 5x8 makes. Still chatty as all hell but I will stick with the smaller coil. I read that you should ground balance and then knock it down an extra 5. Am I the only one experienceing these issues with the unit being super chatty?? Is it possibly just Indiana soil?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you sure there is nothing in the ground causing it to be chatty? If you want it quiet you would have to be hunting in an area no one has dropped anything and no iron targets are present. I hunt in places that are so full of trash that there is almost a constant signal of some sort. The trick is to learn what it is telling you and pick the good targets out of the garbage. Go to the middle of a deep woods or a large field and see how it performs. I have never found a piece of land yet that hasn't had anything in the ground. Ground balancing and not running too hot for soil conditions will tend to quiet a machine down pretty well.

RobSFRD

Jun 5, 2013
Urbana,Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find more targets with the sensitivity in the medium range and walk slow and steady. I used to run mine hit at first and it seemed chatty.

longrider2011

Sep 1, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New AT Pro also. Mine has been chatty but that is because of all the stuff in the ground. I kind of like the noise. When I did hit a clear spot and the machine went quite I thought it was broke or shut off. I was amazed when the AT Pro found a quarter that was surrounded by iron. And the best part, I haven't dug a nail yet.

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Warshrike...Indiana here too! I find my ATP is a bit more chatty with the 5x8. Give it some time, and try all of the different modes. It might help to watch some of the videos on Youtube or Garrett's site, they have lots of tips about the different modes.

What part of Indiana are you from?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably the chattyness is in the ground in the form of iron junk. Almost everywhere you go in low scrim the ground seems alive with iron crap. That's okay with the pro, if something is good in there you will find it as long as it is not masked too bad. Good gb and lower sense will calm things down. Put iron scrim at 35 or more to make it clam up.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems that some have the false opinion that the way you wrap the coil cable around the stick could affect performance on atpro.

:sign10:

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say practice the more you learn about it the better you like it. I was disappointed the 1st few days i had mine and after awhile I found settings that worked best for the area i was in. Whether it be a park or old homesite. I use zero mode a lot and it's no more chatty than coins mode.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try is in several different areas with sensitivity down. If will be chatty to some degree. Smaller coils help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread