Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My son, my father in law, and I went out for a few hours this morning. My sons compadre with 8” coil was acting up at one of our old home sites. It would basically sound off with just a shake or bump. A good tone too. Had my son thinking he was crazy! I checked it out and sure enough, just a slight shake or bump anywhere on the machine will cause it to go off. Guess we will find out if they will still fix machines! It only has about 10 hours of use or less. Only thing I can think of is the epoxy is cracked on the coil and allowed water in. The first time I removed the scuff, it was so tight it could have flexed the epoxy and cracked upon removal. I haven’t had time to take it down yet but did try it again at home and same thing, new battery no help. Crap.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
they are still there!..i think you will find tesoro very accommodating!
good luck!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take it down and put it together again. I had a similar problem and realized that the bottom of the coil was too loose and setting the machine off whenever I swung it. I made the cable a little tighter at the bottom and it fixed the problem.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would take it down and put it together again. I had a similar problem and realized that the bottom of the coil was too loose and setting the machine off whenever I swung it. I made the cable a little tighter at the bottom and it fixed the problem.
Funny you say that, I just shortened it for my son and I left the cable looser than I normally do. I will check it soon. It’s back to work for the week now.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible if the cable is too loose, if it's the cable that's moving, and getting read by the detector.
When I shortened one for a little guy, I made sure to use a Velcro strap about mid way and and make sure the wire is tightly wrapped from the strap I put on down to the coil.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I keep zip ties for this but never thought of the cable being detected. Duh. I will be trying this tonight hoping for a quick fix!

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I loosened the lower rod in the compadre. Gave 1 revolution and took some slack out of the cable. Seems to have fixed it! Thanks stoof.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use velcro if you can. My bazillion years in the cabling business, velcro is a whole lot easier on the wires....

Grab a spool at harbor freight is the mostest for the cheapest I've found locally.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loosened the lower rod in the compadre. Gave 1 revolution and took some slack out of the cable. Seems to have fixed it! Thanks stoof.

Glad to hear. More common issue than you'd think.
It's ironic that the detector messing up is cause by it's own wire sending the signal to the box lol.
When I use my long cable football cable on my vaquero or modded cibola, I don't fully wrap the cable. I give it a couple wraps near the bottom, then Velcro it Midway to hold the wraps, then just coil the rest is near the top (like youd wrap an extension cord for storage) and use another Velcro to hold the wrap to the top of the pole by the control box.

As long as the wraps are tight enough within a foot and a half of the coil you should be good.

Compadre is the one that's a but more tricky than the rest since you can't disconnect it from the box to wrap. You have to twist it while connected but not locked into position. Very common thing.
Worth a shot and it worked so good for you. You can rest easy.

Besides stories of people buying used compadres where some apprentice engineer played with the trimmer pots inside, you don't hear much about compadres messing up.
Unless you break the coil it should last for life.
All Tesoros really. It's when you start playing around inside the box that things go wrong and need the pros at Tesoro to fix it.

Modding my cibola was one of the most nerve racking things I've ever had to do with a detector and in hindsight although it worked, I wouldn't do it again. Someone had already played around inside before I bought it I think. It was very very positive on ground balance. So the mod helped :-)
Happy hunting!!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use velcro if you can. My bazillion years in the cabling business, velcro is a whole lot easier on the wires....

Grab a spool at harbor freight is the mostest for the cheapest I've found locally.

Screenshot_20181222-082326.jpg
I got these years ago. They are thin, and you can cut them to size if they're too long (they're about 5 in long) but I like them alot better than the bully hook and look I've found elsewhere.
Also it comes with 100 so you're good forever . And for just over $10 it makes $.10 each so not bad.
I was able to leave 3 on every coil I own so whenever I change could and lower rods they're already attached to the cables.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread