First Flat Button (loop intact) (Warrenton VA)

acm3

Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am a newbie but loving it. I posted a week or so ago about my Parrott Shell find and today my 4 year old son and I hunted a friends farm right down from our house in VA. Found my first flat button with the loop intact. Was about 4" down and close (few feet) from where I found a dropped 3ringer not too long ago. Found old square nails and a bit of glass in the same hole. Anyone think maybe a camp site or old house? It is a mile from Old Town Warrenton (think Mosby's Rangers). I have found a bullet, parrott shell, flat button and now NEED TO FIND A COIN. Thanks for looking. IMG_2841.JPG IMG_2843.JPG PART_1452982574773_20160116_160331-2.jpg PART_1452982595928_20160116_143948.jpg

Upvote 16

huntnva

Nov 7, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Feels good don't it!? I'm new as well, and just scored my first button. Congrats!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to find flat button's!! You know you are on old ground when they show up. Welcome to the addiction.
PS. Coins will soon follow
HH, Relic Nut

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Your in the right state for it that loop in the back is called a "shank"

~Blaze~

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you can find and dig those lower tones on small things like that flat button, you have the skills to find the coins for sure. I don't worry about coins too much when doing old sites...and in time, they will pop up... they almost always do, if you keep at it, on a big site

OP
OP
acm3

acm3

Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks all. To be honest...when i first saw the roundness I thought it was a coin and when I noticed the loop I knew it was a flat button. To be honest...I love the history so much the flat button was almost a more exciting find! ha ha

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks all. To be honest...when i first saw the roundness I thought it was a coin and when I noticed the loop I knew it was a flat button. To be honest...I love the history so much the flat button was almost a more exciting find! ha ha
We all have different ideas and goals, but finding a 200+ year old coin, without any cool artifacts from the same site...kind of kills the excitement for my own mind. I found a bunch of random relics at a local home/barn/mill site today, but no coins yet...BUT the oldest "known" item was a 1700s Tombac button from a pile of bricks and old charcoal covered in moss. I will rake it all out next hunt

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN LUCKY SITES TO HUNT . I WOULD HAVE THE FEILDS TORE UP LIKE A HOG RUITING IN MUD .. WELL NOT THAT BAD . NICE FINDS .

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's great that you have permission at that farm. Old square nails and glass are definitely an indication of an earlier structure . Virginia is the state that seems to have had more traffic, than any other state, (by both North and South troops ), during the Civil War. I wouldn't be surprised if you start finding Civil War era artifacts.
You might want to consider using a sifter where you found the glass and nails.
Congrats on the flat button.

Last edited:

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding flat buttons. Can you tell if anything is written on the back? Sometimes use of the word "colour" rather than "color" or presence of a crown or other identifiers can help tell where it was made.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first old button,I'm sure there are more to come as well as other goodies the earth will offer up.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i agree with everyone else here, I love the buttons. You were lucky to find an intact loop on your first one, and that site may yield much more, that's an old button. WTG ! HH

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, I love dem buttons!!! Welcome to the VA club :) great state to hunt!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first - and many More! :occasion14:

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats man, The first of many more to come!

OP
OP
acm3

acm3

Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! I did not see any writing on either side :( but will take a closer look under jewelers loop.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I did not see any writing on either side :( but will take a closer look under jewelers loop.

I found one last year at a site, didn't see any back markings so I put it in the display. Found a few more a couple weeks ago. Discovered the makers marks and pulled the first one out of the case. Rechecked and cleaned and wouldn't ya know some nice in tact markings to trace and date it :)
Give it a good clean see what you can see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread