What's new

First Fossils of 2014

mizzoufan96

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
61
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went on a hike today and found some fossils in these rocks.
Are this fossils or impressions?
I don't know much about them but I thought someone might like to see.

Thanks for looking :)

20140315_173440[1].webp20140315_173143[1].webp20140315_173126[1].webp
 
They appear to be chunks of encrinal limestone, or possibly chunks of chert deposited within limestone. The fossils are crinoid stems, each individual donut-shape section of stem is called a columnal. These are likely to be Mississippian in age.
geodecrinoidcolumnals.webp​
 
They appear to be chunks of encrinal limestone, or possibly chunks of chert deposited within limestone. The fossils are crinoid stems, each individual donut-shape section of stem is called a columnal. These are likely to be Mississippian in age.
​

84f1b27ab9b32dfbf11c2daea5178b45.webp

Here is a generalized map of my area. You could be correct Harry. Thanks for the reply.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom