First hunt with Vanquish 440

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't detect any REAL treasure. Swung the machine over a 1960's, often pounded soccer/baseball park. No Gold, nor silver...BUT the machine dispelled two often stated Vanquish myths:

LIE #1 - "Misses coin spills, multiple overlying targets" - I got a solid VDI = 20. Typically a zinc penny. Actually dug 6 zincs and 1 clad nickel from 1 hole.

LIE #2 - "Poor separation - good target masked by bad (iron)" - Got a bouncy VDI = 24/25. Typically a clad dime. Cut a plug and inserted pinpointer which said "not yet, deeper still". Dug another inch or two and noticed a reddish string/twine protruding from side of the hole. Pulled the string and yanked a 40d (5") heavily rusted nail out of the dirt. Thought my Vanquish had fooled me, but stuck the pinpointer back in the hole and got another signal. YEP...a clad dime.

The claims are just not accurate from my experience. It's a good idea to switch to "all metal" / no discrimination and listen for iron grunt...then its up to the detectorist whether to dig or not. HH!!!

ETA - Both targets were IDed at/about 6" (3 arrows) in very wet soil. (Its rained a lot in the DFW area)

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My experience exactly with the 440 I bought for my grandchildren to use.

OP
OP
monkeys uncle

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
My experience exactly with the 440 I bought for my grandchildren to use.

By the way Colonel, I read and liked your Review of the Vanquish product. It helped me to ultimately "pull the trigger" on the 440. Thanks!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread