What's new

First loop shank button...1/2 butterfly buckle

highnam

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2012
Messages
1,624
Reaction score
1,710
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found my first loop shank button and what I think is 1/2 of a two piece women's belt buckle with cattails. This site was first settled in 1900. Could these finds be that old? The button is paper thin. I am not an expert in these type of buttons, any suggestions welcomed. Thanks image.webpimage.webp
 
Upvote 12
Hi; I don't know about the buckle but that button dates to 1820 or older. The 1 Piece Button went out of use by about 1820. They were replaced by the 2 Piece Button due to it's durability and flexibility in designs ok. PEACE:RONB
 
great finds.... hope your luck continues
 
Hi; I don't know about the buckle but that button dates to 1820 or older. The 1 Piece Button went out of use by about 1820. They were replaced by the 2 Piece Button due to it's durability and flexibility in designs ok. PEACE:RONB
Thank you for your response... I'm shocked! Really?! This button is the oldest thing I have ever found! I have found over 300 metal work buttons in a 1912 R.R. Logging camp here in Western Wa that burned in a fire...not a single loop shank. Finding a 1800's button in Wa State....I'll take it!
 
Nice finds...I think I have the same sash buckle!
 
Very nice finds!
 
Nice finds...I think I have the same sash buckle!
No way! What does the other side look like!?! I can image the same image, but I'd love to see the back. Also, do you mind telling me what state it was found?
 
Nice button and that is definitely half of a butterfly buckle
 
Thank you relic hunter.
I think the button has fern fronds, curious if anyone agrees
 
Those are a couple of great finds. I have a few of the half pieces of Butterfly sash buckles. Haven't seemed to be able to find both parts of one yet.
 
Those are a couple of great finds. I have a few of the half pieces of Butterfly sash buckles. Haven't seemed to be able to find both parts of one yet.
I was lucky enough to find a complete sash buckle in a 1913 R.R. Logging camp. It took a month between finding both halves image.webpimage.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom