First Question

No.CalTresure

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to buy my first MD, I have been reading all the post and comparisons that all people new to MD seem to ask. So I am going to try and not ask the same old questions. You guys put out a lot of great information. I have learned so much all ready. So here is my first newbie question. Is there advantages to having a display screen(like on the Ace 350) versus a MD without one (Like the Tesoro's line of MD"s) Is one easier to use than the other. Do you get more useful info from one with the display screen? Any input would be helpful.

Upvote 0

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More information is always better "but" it has to be "good" information. So i guess it comes down to two schools of thought. Is your VDI machine acurrate on telling you good targets and then you recover mostly good targets. Second, is your VDI machine accurate at telling you bad targets, and are you leaving ONLY bad targets in the ground. If the former is true, then in a way you are using the readout as another means of cherry picking. Just like a person with a beep and dig machine might only dig certian "good" sounding targets. My suspision is that a person hunting with a top of the line VDI machine might have a slightly higher treasure to trash ratio than myself using my beep and dig. ( That is me turning up my disc to ID a target .) Ok. The next part of this equation is what is left in the ground. All things being equal, and both types of machines being hunted over the same spots, I would say that both will leave treasure in the ground. This being caused by an infinitate number of variables. Masking, target oriantation,depth, just to name a few. To me digging iffy signals or digging outright trash signals (things low on the conductive scale or trash numbers on a VDI i.g. pull tabs.) is paramount to the dig it all mentality, no matter what type of machine you are using. Just my two wheaties. Michael

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wheatymike said:
More information is always better "but" it has to be "good" information. So i guess it comes down to two schools of thought. Is your VDI machine acurrate on telling you good targets and then you recover mostly good targets. Second, is your VDI machine accurate at telling you bad targets, and are you leaving ONLY bad targets in the ground. If the former is true, then in a way you are using the readout as another means of cherry picking. Just like a person with a beep and dig machine might only dig certian "good" sounding targets. My suspision is that a person hunting with a top of the line VDI machine might have a slightly higher treasure to trash ratio than myself using my beep and dig. ( That is me turning up my disc to ID a target .) Ok. The next part of this equation is what is left in the ground. All things being equal, and both types of machines being hunted over the same spots, I would say that both will leave treasure in the ground. This being caused by an infinitate number of variables. Masking, target oriantation,depth, just to name a few. To me digging iffy signals or digging outright trash signals (things low on the conductive scale or trash numbers on a VDI i.g. pull tabs.) is paramount to the dig it all mentality, no matter what type of machine you are using. Just my two wheaties. Michael

Good thought and very well stated. HD :)

OP
OP
N

No.CalTresure

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for all the great replies. Everyone is so knowledgeable and passionate about there views and this hobby.That is exactly what makes this the best site for information on the web.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You missed MY point completely. At $200.00 (18.75kHz); $165.00 (7.5kHz); and $750.00 for the machine - I'm saving a lot of money and finding EVERYTHING you are.

Don't think I missed your point , just a case of you not checking the facts on both MDs.Minor oversight.I'll let it slide.Live and learn,right?
By the way,those are retail prices on the coils.I am sure that you don't pay retail either. Most Minelab users shop around. I bought a 9" cc 3kHz a few months ago ,like new, for $100 shipped.
In fact, I bought all my equipment from other members in pristine condition and have less than $500 tied up in: X-Terra 70, 3 coils and a Garrett PP. Not that much more than the cost of a Vaquero.:laughing7:

Anyway enough of the chit chat, it is boring me as well as other members.If you need help fact checking, just let me know.I would be more than happy to help you.Good luck and Happy Hunting:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread