California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 sold
XP Deus sold
Garrett Sea Hunter - current
Minelab Excalibur ii - likely next buy
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My wife said lets go to an warm exotic beach overseas. I had about two weeks to get a detector and opted for the Seahunter II. I don't recall why I passed on the Infinium? I thought that I had read somewhere that there were some falsing issues if the coil was bumped. /shrug But I knew that I could hit the beach swinging with the Seahunter and it did not disappoint.

I always hunted with the detector on my hip, using standard mode, Elim = 0 with enough threshold for a constant low tone. This worked well and I found plenty of targets on several different beach hunts. On the last outing, I started in the dry sand and worked out into the ocean. This was going well until I went out into chest deep water. The detector suddenly had a much louder threshold like the coil was directly over a target. I tried to restart it in and out of the water but no change. Finally I switched to discrete mode then the threshold tone returned to normal and I was able to continue hunting albeit with reduced depth but I did find a coin. Anyone encounter this before?

I did remove the connectors and check for moisture but the light was poor and I didn't have my glasses so I can't say with 100% certainty that I did not have a leak into a connection.

Note: I had bought and used silicone grease. I have some experience with high vacuum equipment and mechanical flanges /O-rings. Keep the surfaces completely clean, don't overdo the grease, tighten to compress the o-ring but don't over-tighten.

Finds: dozens of local coins, bottle caps, liquor caps,nails, bobby pins, too many retched foil sauce packs, a spoon, one child's ring (non-valuable).

Most interesting find: a damage unfired 50 caliber brass. primer was intact, shoulder had a heavy crease but the projectile had be pried out :(

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean out coil cover might be needed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread