What's new

First Silver of the Year...Scratched on off the list!

dirtdigger1581

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2011
Messages
591
Reaction score
270
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out last Tuesday evening for a quick evening hunt at local school. Wasn't expecting to find a whole lot while walking around a soccer field, but got two nice surprises. First surprise was a solid 11-43 on the Etrac about 3" deep. Thought it was going to be a clad dime/penny, but was surprised to pull out a King George III copper coin. I think it's a late 1700's date, but can't confirm. I think they call this a cartwheel? Scratched the lady on the back a bit...I'll admit I was careless when digging, since I suspected it a dime/penny.

The second surprise was a solid 11-27 on the Etrac, and about 3" deep as well. I was suspecting this tone to be a pulltab, or shotgun shell, but I was surprised when I slipped a silver disc outta the hole. Got my very first 3 Cent piece. Date of 1853. Not a bad first silver coin of the year. I can scratch that off my wishlist of coins to find now! 8-)

Happy Hunting Everyone!

-Nate
 

Attachments

  • 14May13_king_george_collage.webp
    14May13_king_george_collage.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 14May13_three_cent.webp
    14May13_three_cent.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 8
nice finds congrats HH
 
Congrats on the KG copper and trime. :icon_thumleft: I don't think the KG is a cartwheel though.
 
Congrats on the KG copper and trime. :icon_thumleft: I don't think the KG is a cartwheel though.

I was under the impression that a KG with the lady sitting on the wheel was called a cartwheel. I could be wrong. Either way, I'm happy with the coin.
 
That's awesome. How many guys never bothered to dig that stuff. Good on ya brother!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom