What's new

First Silver this Year - 1749 Spanish!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
10,209
Golden Thread
3
Location
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I searched a former homesite in the woods for the first time yesterday. I saw tell-tale signs that the area had been hit before, so I wasn’t too hopeful. Two hours into my search, I had only a large round ball to show for my efforts when I got a faint, deep-sounding high tone. I dug down about eight inches or so and recovered this 1749 half real of King Ferdinand VI minted in Mexico City. The date side is in decent shape, though the other side is well worn. Perhaps this coin was lost around the time of the American Revolution? Shortly after the coin, I dug what I believe is a men’s-sized, heart-shaped brass ring. The face of it is indented, perhaps for a gem stone. I think this ring may be 1700s or early 1800s, but I am open to any ideas or comments. Also found three old buttons and a smaller round ball before wrapping up. Happy hunting and good luck out there.

IMG_1812.webp
IMG_1826.webp

IMG_1845.webp
IMG_1842.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 51
Congratulations on the Spanish silver!
I was happy to find a 1964 Washington, I’d be over the moon if I found a reale.
Thanks! I love the really old stuff, but I still go over the moon with any silver Washington quarter..
 
Last edited:
Awesome recoveries! Congratulations! You should show pics of the site.
Thanks! If I go back and find anything worth posting, I will include a site pic, as it is actually one of the more clear and searchable sites I have found (though the access is tough).
 
Wow GREAT DAY !!! I would say even BANNER !!!
 
Last edited:
I searched a former homesite in the woods for the first time yesterday. I saw tell-tale signs that the area had been hit before, so I wasn’t too hopeful. Two hours into my search, I had only a large round ball to show for my efforts when I got a faint, deep-sounding high tone. I dug down about eight inches or so and recovered this 1749 half real of King Ferdinand VI minted in Mexico City. The date side is in decent shape, though the other side is well worn. Perhaps this coin was lost around the time of the American Revolution? Shortly after the coin, I dug what I believe is a men’s-sized, heart-shaped brass ring. The face of it is indented, perhaps for a gem stone. I think this ring may be 1700s or early 1800s, but I am open to any ideas or comments. Also found three old buttons and a smaller round ball before wrapping up. Happy hunting and good luck out there.

View attachment 2257239View attachment 2257240
View attachment 2257241View attachment 2257242
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!
 
Voting Banner on your Spectacular Recovery
Congratulations on your success!!!!!!!!
 
Wow the silver was an awesome find. congratulations on a great find.

My oldest coin so far is 1897. You are so lucky to have a long history that leaves these items of times long gone. whalers and missionaries arrived in New Zealand around the early 1800 with organised migration from britain in 1840 so old finds are a very rare thing for us.
 
Wow the silver was an awesome find. congratulations on a great find.

My oldest coin so far is 1897. You are so lucky to have a long history that leaves these items of times long gone. whalers and missionaries arrived in New Zealand around the early 1800 with organised migration from britain in 1840 so old finds are a very rare thing for us.
Thanks! We are lucky to have a longer history and an opportunity to find older stuff. I feel the same way as you when I see posts from England and other European countries. I found a New Zealand coin once, which I really liked. They are pretty rare around here for sure. Ever find any US coins? Good luck and happy hunting out there.IMG_2750.webpIMG_2752.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom