What's new

First Silver this Year - 1749 Spanish!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
10,209
Golden Thread
3
Location
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I searched a former homesite in the woods for the first time yesterday. I saw tell-tale signs that the area had been hit before, so I wasn’t too hopeful. Two hours into my search, I had only a large round ball to show for my efforts when I got a faint, deep-sounding high tone. I dug down about eight inches or so and recovered this 1749 half real of King Ferdinand VI minted in Mexico City. The date side is in decent shape, though the other side is well worn. Perhaps this coin was lost around the time of the American Revolution? Shortly after the coin, I dug what I believe is a men’s-sized, heart-shaped brass ring. The face of it is indented, perhaps for a gem stone. I think this ring may be 1700s or early 1800s, but I am open to any ideas or comments. Also found three old buttons and a smaller round ball before wrapping up. Happy hunting and good luck out there.

IMG_1812.webp
IMG_1826.webp

IMG_1845.webp
IMG_1842.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 51
I searched a former homesite in the woods for the first time yesterday. I saw tell-tale signs that the area had been hit before, so I wasn’t too hopeful. Two hours into my search, I had only a good size roundball to show for my efforts when I got a faint, deep-sounding high tone. I dug down about eight inches or so and recovered this 1749 half real of King Ferdinand VI minted in Mexico City. The date side is in decent shape, though the other side is well worn. Perhaps this coin was lost around the time of the American Revolution? Shortly after the coin, I dug what I believe is a men’s-sized, heart-shaped brass ring. The face of it is indented, perhaps for a gem stone. I think this ring may be 1700s or early 1800s, but I am open to suggestions. Also found three old buttons and a smaller roundball before wrapping up. Happy hunting and good luck out there.

View attachment 2257239View attachment 2257240
View attachment 2257241View attachment 2257242
Nice finds.
 
I searched a former homesite in the woods for the first time yesterday. I saw tell-tale signs that the area had been hit before, so I wasn’t too hopeful. Two hours into my search, I had only a good size roundball to show for my efforts when I got a faint, deep-sounding high tone. I dug down about eight inches or so and recovered this 1749 half real of King Ferdinand VI minted in Mexico City. The date side is in decent shape, though the other side is well worn. Perhaps this coin was lost around the time of the American Revolution? Shortly after the coin, I dug what I believe is a men’s-sized, heart-shaped brass ring. The face of it is indented, perhaps for a gem stone. I think this ring may be 1700s or early 1800s, but I am open to suggestions. Also found three old buttons and a smaller roundball before wrapping up. Happy hunting and good luck out there.

View attachment 2257239View attachment 2257240
View attachment 2257241View attachment 2257242
Looks like you had a stellar day...that ring is amazing...of course the real is too...how are the ticks? One wonders how someone loses a real and a ring...
 
Looks like you had a stellar day...that ring is amazing...of course the real is too...how are the ticks? One wonders how someone loses a real and a ring...
Thanks! The ticks are horrible this year! I was hoping the very cold winter this year would have kept the populations low, but apparently the longstanding snow cover we had served as protective insulation. This particular spot required me to hike off-trail through some wetlands and heavy brush, so I was definitely at risk. I treated my clothes with Permethrin and used repellent, so I did not have any problem this trip luckily. However, I have pulled some ticks off me this year, which makes me worry. This is actually a somewhat dangerous hobby, but so addictive! Thanks again.
 
I searched a former homesite in the woods for the first time yesterday. I saw tell-tale signs that the area had been hit before, so I wasn’t too hopeful. Two hours into my search, I had only a large round ball to show for my efforts when I got a faint, deep-sounding high tone. I dug down about eight inches or so and recovered this 1749 half real of King Ferdinand VI minted in Mexico City. The date side is in decent shape, though the other side is well worn. Perhaps this coin was lost around the time of the American Revolution? Shortly after the coin, I dug what I believe is a men’s-sized, heart-shaped brass ring. The face of it is indented, perhaps for a gem stone. I think this ring may be 1700s or early 1800s, but I am open to suggestions. Also found three old buttons and a smaller round ball before wrapping up. Happy hunting and good luck out there.

View attachment 2257239View attachment 2257240
View attachment 2257241View attachment 2257242
That is one fantastic find lenmac65! It's fun to imagine that coin rolling around in someone's pocket 250+ years ago. I like that ring too. Pretty unusual. Congrats!!!!
 
Man I can only dream of recovering a real here in Ontario.
Love that brass ring, now that looks to have some age to it! :thumbsup:
Thanks! It is nice having the opportunity to find Spanish coins. As for the ring, it does look old to me too. Based on what I have seen of your impeccable cleaning and restoration skills, I bet you could have it looking like new in no time 😁.
 
Last edited:
Thanks! It is nice having the opportunity to find Spanish coins. As for the ring, it does look old to me too. Based on what I have seen of your impeccable cleaning and restoration skills, I bet you could have it looking like new in no time 😁.
Thank you for the kind words my friend. :thumbsup:
You've been detecting as long as I have; all I try to do is clean it up to be presentable and stabilize the relics for display.

Have you looked at your ring under a look, it looks to possibly have a flag insignia on the face. :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • First Silver this Year - 1749 Spanish!.webp
    First Silver this Year - 1749 Spanish!.webp
    159.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Too bad the old Real can't talk for it looks like its been in a lot of pockets! You had a nice hunt and recoveries! Good job!
Thanks! I guess if the coin could talk, it would be in Spanish and I wouldn’t understand anyway 😆.
 
Thank you for the kind words my friend. :thumbsup:
You've been detecting as long as I have; all I try to do is clean it up to be presentable and stabilize the relics for display.

Have you looked at your ring under a look, it looks to possibly have a flag insignia on the face. :icon_scratch:
I try my best to clean and preserve my finds, but I can honestly say they never come out as nice as yours. As for the ring, I took a closer look with a magnifying glass and did not see anything within the indent or any engraving on the band. I am thinking the indent must’ve held a piece of glass or some sort of stone at one time, but I can’t be sure.
 
I searched a former homesite in the woods for the first time yesterday. I saw tell-tale signs that the area had been hit before, so I wasn’t too hopeful. Two hours into my search, I had only a large round ball to show for my efforts when I got a faint, deep-sounding high tone. I dug down about eight inches or so and recovered this 1749 half real of King Ferdinand VI minted in Mexico City. The date side is in decent shape, though the other side is well worn. Perhaps this coin was lost around the time of the American Revolution? Shortly after the coin, I dug what I believe is a men’s-sized, heart-shaped brass ring. The face of it is indented, perhaps for a gem stone. I think this ring may be 1700s or early 1800s, but I am open to any ideas or comments. Also found three old buttons and a smaller round ball before wrapping up. Happy hunting and good luck out there.

View attachment 2257239View attachment 2257240
View attachment 2257241View attachment 2257242
Awesome recoveries! Congratulations! You should show pics of the site.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom