First time buying coin rolls

hursst

Feb 13, 2013
Manassas, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I've been collecting coins for 35 years but never bothered with any bank coin rolls for some reason. Decided to try it out, based on seeing this site. I got 4 rolls of pennies, 2 rolls of nickels and 2 rolls of dimes, as not to overwhelm the teller or myself with extra spare change. Got a 1944 Mercury dime on the very first dime roll, so happy with that. Got about 6 wheat cents and 5 pre-'60 nickels. Very interesting looking through these as you never know what may turn up. Kind of like buying scratch-off lottery tickets, except you'll always at least get your money back. With this "chump change," I've just been feeding back the regular coins into the self-serve kiosk at the supermarket when I buy small items so I don't have to worry about dumps. I think I'll be trying this again soon. Thanks to all the other posters for your stories and findings!

Upvote 0

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck.

Finding a Mercury in just two rolls of dimes. That's not bad. Hopefully you will be able to keep up the luck

But don't get to frustrated if it takes a few more rolls next time

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers, to the long time coin collectors kinda funny that CRH has been right under your noses this whole time and never to realize, getting coins at face value..oh the possiblities..I LOVE CRH!

shedseeker

Oct 28, 2012
ny
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster GT , Garrett ace 250 , Garrett AT PRO
Garrett AT pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool deal !! good luck and HH !!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
3 tips:

1. There are no rolls of pennies in the US. They are cents.
2. You wouldn't overwhelm the tellers even with a bit more coins. For ordering, make an account, and don't dump at the order bank.
3. You may not always get your money back. If you use a coin counter, occasionally, there may be a badly calibrated machine, and you could lose a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread