What's new

First What Is It post - large brass piece

artifacthunter

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
34
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this over in Today's Finds along with some other Civil War related finds. This large brass item was found by a hunting buddy yesterday in a yard (formerly a plowed field) across the road from a Civil War camp site in northern Maryland. It is about 12 inches long and 5 inches wide - quite large to pull out of a normal sized hole! The rounded end is hollow and seems like it would slip over something. The rest of the item is sheet metal and all seems to be brass with no markings. It was buried about 12 inches down and found fairly close to half of a US Plate.
Any guesses are welcome!
Thanks.
2009_12_29_009_whatsit1.webp
2009_12_29_010_whatsit2.webp
 

Attachments

  • 2009_12_29_009_whatsit1.webp
    2009_12_29_009_whatsit1.webp
    95.1 KB · Views: 350
  • 2009_12_29_010_whatsit2.webp
    2009_12_29_010_whatsit2.webp
    72.3 KB · Views: 357
Its a Crotch Cup for A well endowed soldier , His wife made him wear it :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
This looks like something that would slip over a pump nozzle to direct water to the tank for the cattle. It could be removed to hang a bucket. Old windmills I think had a flanged pump nozzle that this could slip on.
Was there a windmill in the area ? Just my best guess.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe half of a 2 piece "thunder mug?"

Scott
 
Upvote 0
Gene Simmons codpiece from the KISS Alive! tour?
 
Upvote 0
How about a lantern reflector...

8807%20Wall%20lamp.JPG


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
rodgerdodger said:
This looks like something that would slip over a pump nozzle to direct water to the tank for the cattle. It could be removed to hang a bucket. Old windmills I think had a flanged pump nozzle that this could slip on.
Was there a windmill in the area ? Just my best guess.

By Jove I think you've got it. I have seen similar used for that purpose.

Les
 
Upvote 0
diggerfororo said:
rodgerdodger said:
This looks like something that would slip over a pump nozzle to direct water to the tank for the cattle. It could be removed to hang a bucket. Old windmills I think had a flanged pump nozzle that this could slip on.
Was there a windmill in the area ? Just my best guess.

By Jove I think you've got it. I have seen similar used for that purpose.

Les

Interesting idea. There could have been a windmill in the area a long time ago. There are several farms near the property. Does anyone have an image of such a deflector? I have been searching images for old house decorative brass hardware with no luck.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a lantern reflector to me, but the bottom part under where the lantern would go seems to be rounded. Would not stand flat, would tip. Maybe it hung on a wall?
 
Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
Looks like a lantern reflector to me, but the bottom part under where the lantern would go seems to be rounded. Would not stand flat, would tip. Maybe it hung on a wall?

Perhaps the TOP of the lantern fit into the cut out section similar to the pics above.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom