What's new

Two Day Hunt – Silver, British Military Knapsack Buckles and a Rosette

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2010
Messages
13,018
Reaction score
28,163
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I took this week off to do some detecting before the fields in my area are planted. I regularly visit 8 to 12 sites each year, and this is one I first detected in 2013. These are the results from my hunts on Monday and Tuesday. I’ve also included before-and-after restoration photos of the rosette. I found a 1917 Canadian Dime, an interesting Brass Horse Rosette and several British Military Knapsack Buckles made by the S. Isaac, Campbell & Company. I should also mention, that to-date I've found over 400 of these British Buckles in this field over the past 13 years.

S. Isaac, Campbell & Company of London began as a boot manufacturer for the British military. It later became one of the largest suppliers of arms and military goods to the Confederacy during much of the American Civil War. Before the war, the firm held major British government contracts, but a corruption scandal ended its ability to do business with the government. After losing those contracts, the company supplied British militia and then turned to the Confederacy, which soon became its biggest customer. Confederate purchases in Britain were handled mainly by Major Caleb Huse and his associate, Major James Bulloch, who served as purchasing agents and diplomats. In the end, the Confederacy’s large unpaid debt to Isaac, Campbell & Company was a major factor in the firm’s downfall.

The Wade Whimsies Green Frog was an eyeball find. This is a tiny collectible porcelain figurine made by Wade Ceramics in England and was originally included as a promotional prize in boxes of Red Rose Tea. These hand-glazed miniatures typically measure about 1.5 to 2 inches and often depict animals, nursery rhyme characters, and whimsical everyday objects. Produced mainly in the 1960s and 1970s, Wade Pottery England created well over 100 different figurines for Red Rose Tea over the years.

Thanks very much for looking,
Dave

20260518_103130_resized.webp
20260518_101159_resized.webp
20260518_095800_resized.webp
20260518_102037_resized.webp
20260518_102239_resized.webp
20260601_115047_resized.webp
20260531_102519_resized.webp
20260601_161943.webp
20260602_143219.webp
20260602_144833_resized.webp
20260602_144913_resized.webp
20260602_143357_resized.webp
20260602_145509_resized.webp
20260602_143409_resized.webp
20260602_145707_resized.webp
20260602_145735_resized.webp
 
Upvote 21
I took this week off to do some detecting before the fields in my area are planted. I regularly visit 8 to 12 sites each year, and this is one I first detected in 2013. These are the results from my hunts on Monday and Tuesday. I’ve also included before-and-after restoration photos of the rosette. I found a 1917 Canadian Dime, an interesting Brass Horse Rosette and several British Military Knapsack Buckles made by the S. Isaac, Campbell & Company. I should also mention, that to-date I've found over 400 of these British Buckles in this field over the past 13 years.

S. Isaac, Campbell & Company of London began as a boot manufacturer for the British military. It later became one of the largest suppliers of arms and military goods to the Confederacy during much of the American Civil War. Before the war, the firm held major British government contracts, but a corruption scandal ended its ability to do business with the government. After losing those contracts, the company supplied British militia and then turned to the Confederacy, which soon became its biggest customer. Confederate purchases in Britain were handled mainly by Major Caleb Huse and his associate, Major James Bulloch, who served as purchasing agents and diplomats. In the end, the Confederacy’s large unpaid debt to Isaac, Campbell & Company was a major factor in the firm’s downfall.

The Wade Whimsies Green Frog was an eyeball find. This is a tiny collectible porcelain figurine made by Wade Ceramics in England and was originally included as a promotional prize in boxes of Red Rose Tea. These hand-glazed miniatures typically measure about 1.5 to 2 inches and often depict animals, nursery rhyme characters, and whimsical everyday objects. Produced mainly in the 1960s and 1970s, Wade Pottery England created well over 100 different figurines for Red Rose Tea over the years.

Thanks very much for looking,
Dave

View attachment 2255650View attachment 2255651View attachment 2255652View attachment 2255653View attachment 2255654View attachment 2255655View attachment 2255656View attachment 2255657View attachment 2255658View attachment 2255659View attachment 2255660View attachment 2255661View attachment 2255662View attachment 2255663View attachment 2255664View attachment 2255665
A very nice collection of relics!
 
Outstanding Detailed Post Dave!!!!!
Congratulations on your success..
Thanks again for sharing
 
I like the writeup and the pictures. That dime and the rosette are in beautiful condition. You did well cleaning them up. I wonder why there are so many British military knapsack buckles in one location.
 
A very nice collection of relics!
Thanks very much Florida Finder, I appreciate your support. :thumbsup:

Outstanding Detailed Post Dave!!!!!
Congratulations on your success..
Thanks again for sharing
Thanks Bill, as always I appreciate your words of support my friend.
Dave

I like the writeup and the pictures. That dime and the rosette are in beautiful condition. You did well cleaning them up. I wonder why there are so many British military knapsack buckles in one location.
Thanks for your post and for your questions Almy. I've posted a few pics below of what I recovered here in 2014, my finds were featured in WE Treasures Magazine that year. This 200 acre site was originally settled by a War of 1812 British Cavalry Officer from New York State by the name of John Major. Major first settled here in the 1820s after he built a sawmill in the area. In the early days the town was known as Majorville, because of founder John Major and his many family members who lived in the area.
 

Attachments

  • SDC10787.webp
    SDC10787.webp
    69.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20141203_200934-1_resized.webp
    20141203_200934-1_resized.webp
    46.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20150315_125851-1_resized.webp
    20150315_125851-1_resized.webp
    69.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom