Fisher CZ-21 Coil Cable Repair. Help!! (DONE.... W/PICS)

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
I picked up a never used CZ-21 for a steal of a price. It works great! When I wrapped the coil cable around the shaft, the cable sheath came apart in numerous places. I guess it dry rotted from sitting around. I called Fisher and they say the coil has to be replaced. Coil is $140 plus labor so I figure about $225 shipped back to me.

Do to the fact I don't scuba dive, I was thinking of cutting the coil wire and using plastc tubeing with sealant to do repairs. Anyone have any good part numbers for waterproof connectors? Guess I could solder the wires and use heat shrink. Any constructive opinions?

DSC00200.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Fisher CZ-21 Coil Cable Repair. Help!!

Since you don't need water Proofing,
get a role of black electrical tape
a Rap it :wink:

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others

jeff of pa said:
Since you don't need water Proofing,
get a role of black electrical tape
a Rap it :wink:

Well it will be used in water just not 250 meters down. Electrical tape seems to get messy and sticky after a short time. Thanks for your input though.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes Electrical tape is only a Temporary Fix.
But unless you can Replace the whole wire
I'll say good Luck :thumbsup:

Maybe a Spray on Coating Exists, that may hold longer,
But may also get hard & Crack

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

jeff of pa said:
Yes Electrical tape is only a Temporary Fix.
But unless you can Replace the whole wire
I'll say good Luck :thumbsup:

Maybe a Spray on Coating Exists, that may hold longer,
But may also get hard & Crack

You might be on to something there Jeff! How about that spray sealer I see advertized on TV to seal up gutters and the bottom of aluminim boats? Could experiment with some of that on some other wires to see how it wraps around a shaft! Good one, thanks!

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

I opted to use clear plastic tubing and run the original wires up thru the tubing. I removed the coil wire nut and siliconed real well under the nut to ensure that no moisture will seep into the coil. (I hope!) I will make my soldered connections by the control box, about 8" out of the box, and seal as I did on the coil. Just got finished sealing the coil end and should be dry in about three or four hours. Gonna take some pics today and post later for those interested. As second insureance I think I might try some of that "FlexSeal" on both ends. Looks like it's gonna work pretty good!

DSC00264.jpg

DSC00265.jpg

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Re: Fisher CZ-21 Coil Cable Repair. Help!! (NOW W/PICS)

Finished except for FlexSealing the two ends. Detector works purrrrfect!

DSC00269.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Took the CZ out for a very quick test and got "soooooo" lucky! Stopped by the Spanish American War Memorial Park, in South Tampa, and got numerous good tone signals. I found out that it's kinda hard to pinpoint targets. Did'nt think about detuning to see if it would pinpoint better. I "actually" salvaged one Lincoln Memorial penny from being lost in history! LoL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread