What's new

Flake or tool? see pics

Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
338
Reaction score
175
Golden Thread
0
This looks to be a flake w/some wear/utilization.
Based on the pics, does this look like debitage or actually used for something? I am trying to learn the signs between actual use and damage from percussion or wear/tear....
I am showing both sides....
Thanks
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    57.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    145.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    187.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    225.4 KB · Views: 80
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    153.9 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
From what I see from your photo it has been used for a tool of some sort. One edge has been pressure flaked for some reason, but remember a flake gets no sharper than when it is first knocked off, then after some use you will have to put an edge on it.
 
Thanks-
What would they use to sharpen the piece? Being a flake, it must be small I assume.
Also, does this edge ever occur as a result of cutting or is it first flaked then used to cut?
 
That's a nice little utilized flake!

The first edge on the flake would have naturally been very sharp with no chipping evident.. The little edge work you see is the result of re-sharpening the edge as it dulled.

Antler tine was often used to flake or sharpen the edges.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom