What's new

flash pan works?

aka da Prof

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
437
Reaction score
163
Golden Thread
0
Location
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while visiting Montreal I hunted the woods on the big hill that over looks the city with just my pin pointer today( I didn't see any signs that I couldn't), I pulled up four pennies, a nickel, one a wheatie, a six inch rose headed spike, looks unused and what I suppose is some gun works. Being still in the field and not home for a few more days, I would like info on how to best clean and preserve such item, also what the age might be. I know y'all want the measurements, but no ruler or scale do I carry. That will happen this coming Saturday.
there was a real conglomerate of modern targets in that immediate area, but no more gun parts. This was just a few inches under the surface and I check hard for any more of it. Any help is appreciated, thanks, da Prof ♬♬
Also I will post better pix when I can--
 

Attachments

  • Photo on 2013-11-05 at 16.39.webp
    Photo on 2013-11-05 at 16.39.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 234
  • Photo on 2013-11-05 at 16.48 #2.webp
    Photo on 2013-11-05 at 16.48 #2.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 216
alright--- it's early morn--- and I took a toothpick and cleaned loose dirt off it. Here is a bit more detail, but no patina or markings to be seen. It is 5 1/8'' long abd 2 13/16'' tall. That's all I'll do for now. I'm not a good photographer, I hope y'all can see any detail for further I.D.-----DSCN2017.webpDSCN2028.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks like it's a right hand lock.

Mike
 
Upvote 0
so, sure it's an old thread, just last week I was talking to rev-war re-enactor/mountain man fellow--told him of my find I said,'No other parts around'' -- he laughed and said, ''You found the the 18 century one of theses''--as he held up and flicked his Bic Lighter!! "that's how they did it fast!!''---ok-- I'll buy that---
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not Brown Bess, but very possibly an Indian Trade Musket.
 
Upvote 0
I believe it is from a French Tulle trade musket,,,,did you by chance look for the flint? If French the flint would have a had a rounded back flint 'spalled' if english the flint would have been knapped on both ends,,,A Barnett lock would have the fox and circle mark,,,but some dutch firms faked the barnett lock to make more trade with the natives. Usually the flint can be found with the Cock cause the flint is held in the jaws by a piece of leather folded over the flint and clamped in the Cocks jaws. Hudson's Bay company also traded a round back lock for almost 55 years.
 
Upvote 0
!!! Arid--- that's some info you packed in there--never gave a thought to look for flint. I was a highly trashy spot, modern trash, 35mm film wrappers, rusty bottle caps, tin foil all under the seasons fallen leaves. What gave me the hit to hunt there was the BIG SPLIT OAK some one might have stopped under 200 years ago. All I had was my pinpointer and it was getting late in the day---might get back some day and check---
P.S.-- still have not cleaned it up, stored in a cool dry place--
 
Upvote 0
---here's an update I meant to post a few years back---'I was telling a friend out in OH about is and a grizzly customer chimed in and said, 'Know what you found?, one of these' and he pulled a Bic lighter out of his pocket. Then explained he was a 'Mountain Man' member and that's how they started a quick fire back in the day !!! and that that guy musta been 'upset' when he lost it!!'
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom