🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Flat button Id

Jcody

Jul 24, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1CABA77A-A69B-4821-A277-0538E43C5788.jpeg
DE2B5FC0-C639-435F-959F-7C88E054F02D.jpeg
F0F0FF4A-662B-427E-8EDB-379F6976FE8A.jpeg
Little cuff button I found and assumed it wasn’t really flat button era but no harm in asking. Says cross London on the front and Birmingham on reverse.

Attachments

• FD9EE7B2-63E9-4044-BC42-39CE02B7C43C.jpeg
    FD9EE7B2-63E9-4044-BC42-39CE02B7C43C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 108

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your button has the logo used by ‘Mark Cross’, founded in Boston in 1845 by Henry W. Cross and named after his only son who later inherited the business as ‘Mark Cross & Co.’. Originally they were a harness, saddlery and trunk-making company, producing “the finest leather goods for the horse and buggy rider”.

One of their employees, a salesman called Patrick Murphy, persuaded Cross to expand the business to include small luxury items such as purses, wallets, and notebooks. It was a huge success, Murphy got promoted, and he ultimately bought the business after the death of Mark Cross. In 1892 Murphy moved the business to New York and opened a fashionable store on Broadway. By 1893, he had two stores in New York, had also opened a store back in Boston and another in London, England. The business rapidly expanded to become the quintessential American luxury lifestyle brand, with more than 20 stores selling imported luxury goods including fine china and crystal as well as leather items.

They also sold clothing including: dresses, jackets, skirts, trousers, and sweaters for women; suits, jackets, trousers, knitwear, and shirts for men. I would assume the button relates to one of those items. With a ‘Birmingham’ backmark, I would guess it's from something made (post-1893) in England for sale in the London store or for export to the US for sale there.

Cross.jpg

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Jcody

Jcody

Jul 24, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your button has the logo used by ‘Mark Cross’, founded in Boston in 1845 by Henry W. Cross and named after his only son who later inherited the business as ‘Mark Cross & Co.’. Originally they were a harness, saddlery and trunk-making company, producing “the finest leather goods for the horse and buggy rider”.

One of their employees, a salesman called Patrick Murphy, persuaded Cross to expand the business to include small luxury items such as purses, wallets, and notebooks. It was a huge success, Murphy got promoted, and he ultimately bought the business after the death of Mark Cross. In 1892 Murphy moved the business to New York and opened a fashionable store on Broadway. By 1893, he had two stores in New York, had also opened a store back in Boston and another in London, England. The business rapidly expanded to become the quintessential American luxury lifestyle brand, with more than 20 stores selling imported luxury goods including fine china and crystal as well as leather items.

They also sold clothing including: dresses, jackets, skirts, trousers, and sweaters for women; suits, jackets, trousers, knitwear, and shirts for men. I would assume the button relates to one of those items. With a ‘Birmingham’ backmark, I would guess it's from something made (post-1893) in England for sale in the London store or for export to the US for sale there.

View attachment 1987953
You’re awesome thanks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions