What's new

Flea market Silver

IHC656

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2023
Messages
345
Reaction score
1,961
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vendor was selling foreign coins, tokens & etc. for a dollar each, and this was in the mix.
Gave $1 for this refurbished silver utensil.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8880.webp
    IMG_8880.webp
    55.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8879.webp
    IMG_8879.webp
    96.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8878.webp
    IMG_8878.webp
    240.8 KB · Views: 61
Hate to damper your enthusiasm but Brazil silver is the same as German silver ... copper, nickel, and zinc alloy
 
Hate to damper your enthusiasm but Brazil silver is the same as German silver ... copper, nickel, and zinc alloy

Indeed yes, exactly that. In fact it was a trademark of the Weinman Company of Philadelphia, used on base metal flatware that was additionally silver-plated. One of the advantages of these kinds of silver imitations was that they could be plated to give a superior finish, but use-wear of the plating was less obvious compared to other base metal alloys such as brass.

Brazil Silver.webp


Also used by the Royal Manufacturing Company of Detroit, Michigan, a maker of flatware and tablewares, circa 1904
 
Last edited:
Hate to damper your enthusiasm but Brazil silver is the same as German silver ... copper, nickel, and zinc alloy
Thanks for the information.
Since it was only a dollar, I’d say I have a souvenir of what I just learned. Thanks..
 
Thanks for the information.
Since it was only a dollar, I’d say I have a souvenir of what I just learned. Thanks..
For a buck you still got a good deal IMO.
 
I replace the original metal ferrules on vintage bamboo flyrods with Nickel Silver ferrules when I refinish the rod. I wish they were only $1 each. They run about $70 a pair.

Nickel Silver Ferrule1.webp

Nickel Silver Ferrule2.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom