Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to stick this somewhere for future reference and guess here is as good as anywhere.

The Flintlock

The following photographs show both sides of the flintlock mechanism, along with descriptions of the annotated parts.

Flintlock Mechanism

Diagram of Flintlock (Front)

A- Lockplate B- Feather of frizzen spring C- Frizzen spring screw D- Mainspring retainer stud E- Frizzen spring F- Tail of frizzen G- Frizzen pivot screw H- Frizzen (hammer, steel) I- Face of frizzen J- Pan K- Flashguard L- Cock (hammer) M- Lower (fixed) vise jaw N- Upper (moveable) vise jaw O- Vise screw (cock screw) P- Sear spring screw tip Q- Tail of lockplate R- Sear pivot screw tip S- Tumbler screw

Diagram of Flintlock (Rear)

A- Upper limb of mainspring B- Lower limb of mainspring C- Mainspring retainer hook D- Tumbler hook of mainspring E- Cup of tumbler F- Tail of frizzen G- Tumbler axle/pivot H- Frizzen (hammer, steel) I- Face of frizzen J- Pan K- Flashguard L- Cock (hammer) M- Lower (fixed) vise jaw N- Upper (moveable) vise jaw O- Vise screw (cock screw) P- Bridle Q- Sear pivot screw R- Body of the sear S- Arm of the sear T- Sear spring U- Sear spring screw V- Bridle screw W- Stop, upper vise jaw X- Cock spur (hammer spur) Y- Frizzen pivot screw Z- Bolster AA- Fly BB- Frizzen spring retainer stud

Attachments

• A-Lock-ID.jpg
    A-Lock-ID.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 5,792
  • A-lock-ID2.jpg
    A-lock-ID2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 7,213
Upvote 0

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for the diagram Iron Patch. Good reference. Over the years I've found several flintlock mechanisms, just curious...will the vise screw always have a slit on top? Seems I've found some without the slit but definitely found in an area where early gun parts were recovered.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
flintlock said:
Thanks for the diagram Iron Patch. Good reference. Over the years I've found several flintlock mechanisms, just curious...will the vise screw always have a slit on top? Seems I've found some without the slit but definitely found in an area where early gun parts were recovered.

I am definitely not the one to answer questions about gun parts, but since early furniture brass hardware has very similar screws I think that would have to be considered too. That said, a screw with no slit sounds better suited for the gun than being useful to hold together furniture.

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Some jaw screws have a slot, some have a hole, some have both.

Many early locks did not have flys, bridles, or bridled frizzens (frizzen bridle not listed... the extension from the pan that the frizzen screw goes through).

This lock is not tapped for mounting screws. It is also atypical in that the frizzen screw mounts from the inside.

Frizzen, BTW, is a later word. Early terms are battery or hammer. But when percussion cocks started to be called hammers... :o ::) :laughing9: yeah! confusion!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread