What's new

Florida Beach Fossil Shell of Some Sort

IndianRiverSonrise

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
270
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Various
When I first picked this up I thought it was probably a mammal joint. That is the type of thing I mostly see at the location (same color etc.), but when I took it home and looked more closely it appears to me to be a shell.

I wonder if anyone would offer an opinion on the type and age. Thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • fh4.webp
    fh4.webp
    75 KB · Views: 524
  • fh2.webp
    fh2.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 383
  • fh1.webp
    fh1.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 341
  • fh3.webp
    fh3.webp
    64.3 KB · Views: 368
This thing reminds me of a coprolite. Sharks have a spiral valve in their cloaca, but shark coprolites are not compacted longitudinally.

It could be that this is a land mammal coprolite and that the spiral is merely an accident of gravity.

Or, this may be a steinkern or internal cast of a gastropod.


prcopro3.webp​
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom