Florida east coast Indians, the looting of wrecks?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ais Indians were in that area.

On the one hand, most Indians thought it was funny that the white man had such a fixation on the yellow metal. It seems that if they salvaged from the ships, it was useful things, not yellow metal.

However, there are also stories about the Mayakka Indians, governed by Chief Mayakka. He was said to have a town 20 or more leagues from St. Augustine. He used to often visit St. Augustine and had lots of gold. I always thought that interesting. They obviously didn't mine it, so they either traded for it, also unlikely, or salvaged it from shipwrecks. Some of the old documents theorize that his town was around the town of Volusia, but I think you could throw a dart at the map and have just as good a chance of finding the spot.

Jack

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe in 1605 Mexia recorded the "Bihio/Bahio" at present day turtle mound, (just north of the entrance to the cape), and at this location he reported it as being a large gathering place where the Indians kept many canoes for going to sea. Note he said "sea" and not river. It has also been reported that this high mound could be seen from the sea and used as a landmark, which makes me think it may have also been a place where the sea/coastline/passing ships could be better observed by the Indians for a longer distance? One can only guess just how many canoes were kept there or what purpose those readied canoes actually served, but the looting of wrecked ships certainly comes to mind. If we go a step further and use Mexia's map in regards to the location of some of the main villages along his route we might also "assume the possibility" that local region may have also been an important place of residence for the residing Indian culture. Much of what I have researched leads me to believe there may have been an important and fairly powerful Indian figure residing in this region to at least 1605 and possibly beyond. Question is, what was the true purpose of that large gathering place and the many canoes that were kept there? At one time, was this also a major staging area for the looting of ships? And if so, just how much treasure came to shore here, and as you suggest, what type of treasure? Where did it end up? :dontknow: But it's sure an interesting notion to play with.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Turtle Mound.

The Indians typically lived in sheltered areas, Turtle Mound is at a location where the land between the River and Ocean is very thin, known as a haul-over. A place where they could carry their canoes over from the river to the ocean if they were motivated. North and South of that location are much wider. If that was the case, that means they were likely living on the land South of Edgewater? Maybe in the Turnbull Hammock?

Jack

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another theory suggest that it was a place for going to sea to harvest a variety of migrating fish during the seasonal runs? This theory also has a great deal of merit.

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
i know this is a old thread but...what would the indians do with all the gold? bury it..trade..dispose of it?

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
bigscoop said:
I believe in 1605 Mexia recorded the "Bihio/Bahio" at present day turtle mound, (just north of the entrance to the cape), and at this location he reported it as being a large gathering place where the Indians kept many canoes for going to sea. Note he said "sea" and not river. It has also been reported that this high mound could be seen from the sea and used as a landmark, which makes me think it may have also been a place where the sea/coastline/passing ships could be better observed by the Indians for a longer distance? One can only guess just how many canoes were kept there or what purpose those readied canoes actually served, but the looting of wrecked ships certainly comes to mind. If we go a step further and use Mexia's map in regards to the location of some of the main villages along his route we might also "assume the possibility" that local region may have also been an important place of residence for the residing Indian culture. Much of what I have researched leads me to believe there may have been an important and fairly powerful Indian figure residing in this region to at least 1605 and possibly beyond. Question is, what was the true purpose of that large gathering place and the many canoes that were kept there? At one time, was this also a major staging area for the looting of ships? And if so, just how much treasure came to shore here, and as you suggest, what type of treasure? Where did it end up? :dontknow: But it's sure an interesting notion to play with.

Interesting thread.

I've been researching Alvaro Mexia myself as well, and always interested in sharing information. What source did you learn, "large gathering place and the many canoes that were kept there." ?

The Turtle mound was once called the Surroque Mound which was the name of a tribe living in the area, of the Timucua Indian Nation. They (the tribe) warned Alvaro not to go the the Ais Indian Nation but he did and it resulted in a successful diplomatic mission.

-RKO

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
scubaozzy said:
i know this is a old thread but...what would the indians do with all the gold? bury it..trade..dispose of it?

I know with some precious metals they would make jewelry of it and sacred ceremonial objects.

-RKO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions