Florida points

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20201226_122555.jpg
2 river stained & 2 Alachua County points. The Gilchrist is some kind of Rice Grain material.

Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been looking off and on all day at the piece with the circular pattern of striations. I believe you are calling it a Gilchrist. It may be just a bullseye pattern in some type of chert but it is reminiscent of petrified palmwood to me. Killer point and material.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been looking off and on all day at the piece with the circular pattern of striations. I believe you are calling it a Gilchrist. It may be just a bullseye pattern in some type of chert but it is reminiscent of petrified palmwood to me. Killer point and material.

20201226_183534.jpg 20201226_183524.jpg
You are probably correct. I only have a couple of Florida points that are petrified palm wood. One I found fairly near this one so could be.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks a lot like Buffalo River from TN. That dot pattern is distinctive. Here are 3 Buffalo River points from the net. Gary

buffalo river tn 1.jpg buffalo river tn 2.jpg buffalo river tn 3.jpg

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are beautiful! I don't think Fla. has Buffalo River but I see the similarities. I'm thinking coral which is very common here or Tdogs idea of Petrified wood. I have a red Marion with a similar looking grain in it.

Last edited:

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm thinking coral which is very common here or Tdogs idea of Petrified wood.

I wish I had more hands-on experience with coral and it crossed my mind that your piece may be made of coral. If it turns out to be, I'd like to know and how it was determined. Thank you for listening to my suggestion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread