Follow up: American Indian Stonehenge

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Oct. 22, 2019 I posted these pictures of strange carved stones found on a small mound in the woods on a friend's property. He told me to "have at it" with the metal detector and I finally got back there to see what was dropped. 006.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 007.jpg 002.jpg 001.jpg 005.jpg Well, when I first saw these back in Oct. I thought I hit the jackpot. Nope!!! I started detecting right at the top in the middles of the stones and and did a very tight spiral outward. Nothing! And when I say nothing I mean nothing!!! I don't believe I ever found less in an area where you know there has been human activity. The only thing I found was some barbed wire fence which leads me to believe this was some type of watering trough for livestock or something. Strange that there would be a bunch of them on this mound where animals would have to climb up to get at it. Plus, there's a stream right next to these. Still can't figure these out for sure. If anyone has any better ideas I'd certainly like to hear them. Thank you for looking and any for thoughts.

Upvote 11

Tom Slikes53

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, they are about 100 from a road and that road is about 100 yards to big lake. The road is a dead end probably another 100 yards up a ways. Very few houses along it and this road is in length about 1 mile long off a more major road for the area. You could probably go all day and see 2 cars travel this road. I've lived in Maine for almost 4 years now and am shocked at how remote and quiet things are. Anyway, the area these are in is very hilly and rocky as is most of this area. Can't really see how anyone could do any purposefully farming here. Maybe they were "dumped" there? Seems like quite a task to drag them to this spot though. I'm as interested as anyone here to find out what they are all about. This is pretty rough terrain here and that's what makes it so vexing. Why are these right where they are?

Scott Wolter just got back to me.As he said he was traveling...... If you would like to send me a private message with what Scott wants I'll pass it on to him.

Edited, sent you a private message....

"Hi Billy,

I’ve been traveling and just now getting back to people. Those carved bowls look interesting; what the guy’s contact info?

Happy holidays!

Scott
"

Last edited:

Tom Slikes53

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's a far out theory, ritual sacrifice. The bowl shape in the rock is to collect the blood !

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rocks look too machined and symmetrical to be Native American imo. If Native Americans wanted to use some grinding bowls then they wouldn't put in all the effort to smooth out the sides... it just wouldn't be necessary. I'm guessing that these rocks were shaped by a hand that was either colonial or more recent. Maybe they were part of some sort of 19th century construction or mining operation and were dumped in the woods. It's definitely a cool find though!

stealthycat

Feb 17, 2012
Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pros
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you said lake .... was there any pit mining there like quarry work where they'd remove stone etc ?? that might be a reason

Tom Slikes53

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could look real closely for subtle parallel wheel tracks or depressions, especially if they were transported there in the wet time of year. No doubt they've been there a long time, at least 75 years I bet. At least as long as the youngest trees surrounding the site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions