For any rings you found at the beach, how much were they worth?

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that is pretty close, now the only problem is finding a 4 oz gold ring.:tongue3:
The website in the attached pic says most gold rings are 3 to 7 ounces. When you consider the dimensions of a 5 oz gold bar I find it hard to believe that an average gold ring contains anywhere near that much gold. What am I missing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230614_170136_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230614_170136_Firefox.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 9

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where you got that website but they don't know what they are talking about, it is extremely rare to find a gold ring that even weighs a half ounce, average size would be closer to 10 grams and unless it is 24 k it is less gold, a 10 gram 14k gold ring has about 5.7 grams of pure gold, Troy oz of gold is 31.1 grams.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure where you got that website but they don't know what they are talking about, it is extremely rare to find a gold ring that even weighs a half ounce, average size would be closer to 10 grams and unless it is 24 k it is less gold, a 10 gram 14k gold ring has about 5.7 grams of pure gold, Troy oz of gold is 28.3 grams.
Troy oz. Is 31.104 grams
Oz of pot is 28.35 grams.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where you got that website but they don't know what they are talking about, it is extremely rare to find a gold ring that even weighs a half ounce, average size would be closer to 10 grams and unless it is 24 k it is less gold, a 10 gram 14k gold ring has about 5.7 grams of pure gold, Troy oz of gold is 28.3 grams.
I thought it was too good to be true. What you're saying sounds far more realistic. Thank you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually... One troy ounce (oz t) equals exactly 31.1034768 grams.

:P
So if one rounds up 31.1035, I stand corrected as well.

Reactions: ARC

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your reply. I'm surprised they only offered $700 for that. I know they have to make a profit but I would have expected more.
I think the reality is that when you find an item you may expect jewelry store type prices but these will never be realized because a jewelry store will mark it up 2 or 3 times actual melt value. I have found jewelry store don't want to pay for diamonds that are small, and will only pay you for the content of the gold. Midwest Refineries is good for gold melting but really, what do you do with the stones that come out, real diamonds that are small, they don't want, 1/2 carrot or bigger maybe they might offer you something so they can mount it sell it... I have dug many items but I think if someone offered me $700 for anything I have found minus a few of the heavier gold items I would jump at the chance.
And go figure, a SILVER RING in a jewelry store will cost you $65-$100 but the SILVER content ($26 OUNCE) is maybe $5 (7-8 grams) for melt value so if you dig even a nice Silver ring, scrap value isn't much..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jewelry stores are in the business to sell new jewelry, not buy used jewelry, the markup on new jewelry is quite high, used jewelry does not have a lot of room for markup and take up space.

Take a ring to a pawn shop and see what they offer, look at the pawned jewelry they have for sell.

ole miss rebel

Feb 22, 2013
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great discussion! Couple of years ago I took 3 solitaire diamonds to a dealer to see what he'd give me for them. I actually had the appraisal he did on them for my mother years ago. He said he couldn't offer anything, then went to a back room and came out with a platter full of single diamonds. He said he takes them out of rings and sells the gold or platinum bare rings. Market is flooded with single diamonds.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen anyone get much for used jewelry. The 2nd hand shops have more realistic prices on it, but as such you get a percentage of a percentage of a percentage. Just how it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions