What's new

Forgot to post my finds last week

Cat J

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
789
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
Picked up 8 boxes from Jasper IN

1X 67
1 x 69
1 x 98s
1 x 2001s
1 x 89s
1 x 79s
1 x 87s
1 x 02s

Then I picked up ten boxes from Mt Vernon IL one box had 23 keeps the others just a few
1 x 02s
16 x 64
2 x 65
23 x 66
11 x 67
11 x 68
4 x 69

I have not picked up any boxes this week but should have some tomorrow.
Thanks
Cat
 
Upvote 0
Good numbers but as many boxes as it took it looks like you didn't get much out of each box. What was the most and least?
 
Cat, I have a question for you. You seem like a road tripper like myself but do you call ahead to banks and order boxes? That is a good idea. Do you have good success? I always pick up the hand rolls.

-Golden Silver
 
Yes I call a week in advance to order boxes. And since they know I am from out of town and I won't be bringing them back to them they alway order. The woman in Mt Vernon told me she has a man that comes in to order and they won't order for him so she was worried he might come in an see me picking up the boxes and get mad. So she got someone to take them out to the car for me so I could leave quickly. LOL

Oh well

HH
Cat
 
wOW, That is great that a bank would do that for you. I order boxes from some of my banks and even they give me a hard time sometimes. They are always worried that I will try and bring them back. I have to assure them I will not. I will have to try this ordering ahead thing especially if the area does not have many hand rolls. Thanks for the tip.

-Golden Silver
 
are all S mints silver? And if so what %?
 
APLPHA,

S mints come in all varieties. Some are copper/nickel clad. Some are 40% silver clad while still others are 90% silver. Usually a simple rim check of the coin can tell you what they are made of. Although sometimes I have a hard time seeing the difference between 40% and 90% S mints if they are in near mint to mint condition.

-Golden Silver
 
<---- colorblind....cant really see much a difference in rims.....as far as 40% and clad go.....only ever found 1 90% and i could tell on that one =)
 
ALPHA,
One other thing you can do is the ping test.Yes that is right... the ping test. Balance the coin at the tip of one finger and lightly touch the coin with the rim of another. If there is a high pitched ping sound that resonates a while like a bell...you have 90%. If it pings but it is slightly lower and does not last that long you have a 40% and if you hit it and it just makes a clink sound it is a clad (so silver). It is best to try this with ones you are know are 90%, 40% and clad and learn the difference in sounds. Hope this helped. Good luck.

-Golden Silver
 
golden silver said:
ALPHA,
One other thing you can do is the ping test.Yes that is right... the ping test. Balance the coin at the tip of one finger and lightly touch the coin with the rim of another. If there is a high pitched ping sound that resonates a while like a bell...you have 90%. If it pings but it is slightly lower and does not last that long you have a 40% and if you hit it and it just makes a clink sound it is a clad (so silver). It is best to try this with ones you are know are 90%, 40% and clad and learn the difference in sounds. Hope this helped. Good luck.

-Golden Silver


I can't tell the difference in sound between 40% and 90%. You must have good hearing.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
golden silver said:
ALPHA,
One other thing you can do is the ping test.Yes that is right... the ping test. Balance the coin at the tip of one finger and lightly touch the coin with the rim of another. If there is a high pitched ping sound that resonates a while like a bell...you have 90%. If it pings but it is slightly lower and does not last that long you have a 40% and if you hit it and it just makes a clink sound it is a clad (so silver). It is best to try this with ones you are know are 90%, 40% and clad and learn the difference in sounds. Hope this helped. Good luck.

-Golden Silver


Definite difference

I can't tell the difference in sound between 40% and 90%. You must have good hearing.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom