What's new

Fossil Bone w/ Blood Veins?

TJE

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
1,159
Golden Thread
0
Location
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if this is its bone...or Frill?
 

Attachments

  • 2013-03-01 11.41.47.webp
    2013-03-01 11.41.47.webp
    112 KB · Views: 414
  • 2013-03-01 11.42.02.webp
    2013-03-01 11.42.02.webp
    129.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 2013-03-01 11.42.17.webp
    2013-03-01 11.42.17.webp
    119.9 KB · Views: 221
Doesn't look like it to me
 
Sure looks like bone to me. In the first photo, the part that faces the the bottom righthand corner, is there any sign of a socket where this piece would have been connected to another bone? It may be possible that your fossil bone may have similar vein channels as with deer antlers show after their velvet is shed. It is logical that some extinct animals had some type of outer layer covering a bony core.
 
750733d1362241169-fossil-bone-w-blood-veins-2013-03-01-11.41.47.jpg


Hello TJE,

Has this been saw cut? What size is it, and can we get a cross section view, please?

Worked_bone_with_saw_marks.jpg
 
Hello old digger, yes it does look like a type of 'connection/socket! having "deboned many, many large game..instantly made me think of 'small shoulder blade..or..the nickname we called 'the guitar' :) I should have..but didn't...take pics of this area but I will, and put up here. With the naked eye the 'veins' are clear as a bell!!...S##TY camera/pics I know.
TJE
 
Hello surf, no cuts, it's how I found it, about 6-8" long. 'Have to dig it out again for a precise tally'! :)
will get better angle pics soon.
TJE
 
Last edited:
This is just a wild suggestion, but I was thinking that your item may be a section of the Ischium which is part of the pelvis of a dinosaur.


saurischia_hip.webp
 
Very possible old digger, but..does the 'Ischium' have two socket area's ?
 
I don't believe there are sockets, the bones don't move. Similar to the cranial bone segments in a skull. The bones are interlocked and allow for growth with age into adulthood.
 
I think you may be right on track old digger, here's a few more pics. It looks like it's not complete 'broken off'?
 

Attachments

  • 1362323860292.webp
    1362323860292.webp
    20 KB · Views: 152
  • 1362323850156.webp
    1362323850156.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 1362323914205.webp
    1362323914205.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 1362323931908.webp
    1362323931908.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 1362323885792.webp
    1362323885792.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 1362323937828.webp
    1362323937828.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 146

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom