9.9 KB · Views: 281

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Hmmm? said:
Is this similar?
[size=14pt]Don't be a tease, 'Hmmm?' !! :nono:

You've cropped this image, we know you can manipulate parameters. How about making this image about four or five times larger so that old eyes can make out the details.
:idea1:
While you're at it, how about increasing the brightness until the image is slightly washed out; then, increase the contrast until the image is bright and crisp. Try it, you'll like it!
:happy3:

Hmmm?

Oct 5, 2010
Southern, NJ
I tried to get a shot that shows, what I think may be two holes for the nose and on each side of the piece, two holes that appear to be where the eyes were.
It kind of looks like a (very small) snake head or even a turtle head.

Hard to get a good shot because of it's size.

Thank you again for taking a look Harry..
You've been very helpful.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Hmmm? said:
I tried to get a shot that shows, what I think may be two holes for the nose and on each side of the piece, two holes that appear to be where the eyes were.
It kind of looks like a (very small) snake head or even a turtle head.

Hard to get a good shot because of it's size.

Thank you again for taking a look Harry..
You've been very helpful.
You haven't said where you found this object, 'Hmmm?', nor have you described any of its properties. Nonetheless, my ignorance will not preclude postulation.

IF you found this on the beach, and IF it is light-weight (floats on water, or is near-weightless when underwater), I speculate that this is a seed-pod with the covering removed. The variable rectangles are the dried seeds. Thats my best guess under the circumstances.

If you think it may be a seed-pod, you could stick it into some potting soil to see if it might germinate. Let us know.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Hmmm? said:
I'm sorry that I left out the details..
It has the weight and feel of a stone... I found it in a stream, in NJ.
A stream in NJ !! I would've guessed something else in that case . . . perhaps a crinoid calyx (looks remarkably like Cupressocrinites, but that's from the Devonian of Germany).

It appears that some invert collector will have to step up with a more reliable ID. ???

Hmmm?

Oct 5, 2010
Southern, NJ
I did a search for the Cupressocrinites, that you mentioned.
You're right... it does bare a striking resemblance.
Perhaps my piece is a world traveler..lol

lordpiney

Aug 12, 2009
hmmm?...your fossil looks like the ventral surface of a small lobster or crayfish to me. did you find it in Monmouth county?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread