What's new

I feel like this should be an easier id

Older The Better

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2017
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
8,098
Golden Thread
0
Location
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this interesting rock, it’s Pennsylvanian in age, neosho county Kansas if it’s helpful. It’s got fossilized wood mixed with marine fossils. But I was noticing the one fossil has a wavy woody texture with paired features that are fairly regularly spaced… I’ve been looking this morning and I think I’m close with Cordaitalean Wood based on other fossils I’ve found but I feel like these paired slits should be the key to an id but so far I can’t find any similar pictures.
IMG_4182.webp
IMG_4180.webp
IMG_4177.webp
IMG_4178.webp
IMG_4179.webp
IMG_4165.webp


IMG_2B5F3028-5D32-4D78-B04C-8040C943547F.webp
 
So there was a second rock out there that was bigger and I didn’t have the ability to carry everything in the last trip, but I grabbed it this time and I had no idea there was so many fossils under the moss growing on it brought it home today and I’m pretty happy with that one. It’s got similar features. I know the segmented one is Calamities but the one with the rows of paired ovals is new to me.
IMG_4206.webp
IMG_4207.webp
IMG_4208.webp
IMG_4210.webp
 
This is the only photo I’ve been able to find, when you google lycopsid all the other pics are different. Makes this Id suspect but that’s definitely the structure in the first rock, the second is a little different, mostly because the paired bumps are raised and more uniform but one or the other could just be a mold… I found a pair of books on line that are atlases for Pennsylvanian age plants I’m hoping they help.
IMG_4229.webp
 
Found it . I’m guessing this is what both fossils are, one is just a mold of the other. Sigillaria is the overall plant… the fact that they give different parts different names makes things challenging. Syringodendron is the specific part I found
IMG_4421.webp
IMG_4422.webp
IMG_4423.webp
IMG_4424.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom