What's new

Fossil ID help please.

Diggin_VA

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 7, 2018
Messages
7
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mechanicsville VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, bounty hunter lone star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this 40+ years ago on a farm in WV. I was hopping across a creek and my foot landed right next to it.

Any help in figuring out this creature would be great. the penny is there for size ref.

Thank you

Diggin_VA

fossil.webp
 
Welcome, Diggin. Marine fossils, most likely. I see fragments of Bryzoans, I think. A plant-like animal, lives by filter feeding. Also, likely a fish spine and bones in the center. Looks like a few coral fragments as well. Hard to tell it's age. It would be very helpful to know exactly where you found it, so we could identify the geologic formations and ages in that area, to make a more educated guess.
 
Welcome, Diggin. Marine fossils, most likely. I see fragments of Bryzoans, I think. A plant-like animal, lives by filter feeding. Also, likely a fish spine and bones in the center. Looks like a few coral fragments as well. Hard to tell it's age. It would be very helpful to know exactly where you found it, so we could identify the geologic formations and ages in that area, to make a more educated guess.

I think it was around Madams Creek? I was about 10 at the time. That would be in the lower southeast area around Hinton, WV.
 
Last edited:
It's an Archimedes bryozoa.
 
I see a couple Crinoids in there the fish bone looking thing is most likely crinoid stems they will have a stacked appearance to them and date around 350 million years ago. I posted some photos of the same creatures in this forum, cool find.
 
I see a couple Crinoids in there the fish bone looking thing is most likely crinoid stems they will have a stacked appearance to them and date around 350 million years ago. I posted some photos of the same creatures in this forum, cool find.

After a little research, it looks like Mine Shaft is correct, Crinoid not fish, and is pretty close on the age. There is a major limestone formation in VA, WV, PA, MD, called the Keyser Formation, late Silurian to early Devonian, which puts it around 400 million years ago. Images I looked at had a similar mix of fossils. And Ninja knows his stuff. Nice specimen. Thanks. Madams Creek is in late Silurian to Devonian belt.
 
WOW! 350 Million years old thanks! I had a bunch of fossils that I found as kid but this is the only one that I never gave away! Thanks for the info guys!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom