What's new

Fossil shell found in a field

EricTheCat

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2011
Messages
494
Reaction score
546
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this neat fossil rock in a field when I was hunting for artifacts. You couldn't miss it. The rock is about 8 inches long and the shell is about an inch. Some kind of cephalopod, I think. There are also some chrinoid stems and part of a brochiopod in the rock. A lot of the fossils I find in my area are from the ordovician period.
FossilShell-Field-2015-06-19-Img_0940S.webp

FossilShell-Field-2015-06-19-Img_0940C.webp

Happy hunting,
Eric
 
Looks like a gastropod
 
Deleted by author.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Inyo, that is some really good info. Given it was found in glacial till ordovician is just my guess. When I was heavy in to fossil hunting around here it seemed like the ordovician outcrops were the sweet spots for finding fossils.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom